for the mothers who nursed

are you still nursing? if not what helped wean the baby. i have a 15 month old who is still nursing and waking up like 3 times a night (if not more) to be nursed. i co sleep becuase if i let her cio she will wake her 4 year old brother who she shares a room with. she sometimes starts off in her own crib but when she wakes at night she comes to bed with me. any suggestions? also its embarrasing when we are in public and she sticks her hand down my shirt while screaming at the top of her lungs. i try distracting her with a cup or food if the cup doesnt work and sometimes that helps but sometimes its more about the comfort and then i usually find a way to nurse her if possible.

mommy06and09

Asked by mommy06and09 at 10:43 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• still nursing @ 12 months
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 10:46 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My son is 13 months.Do we have the same child because my son does everything your child does. The pullling the shirt down, I think everyone has seen my boobs. The waking up multiple times. I would love to know also because at this point I tried the weening and it doesn't work. I might go cold turkey.
    Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 10:47 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I ended up going cold turkey and I regret it.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 10:49 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• What if you put a pack n play in your room and put baby in there to sleep at night. Also, would your daughter go back to sleep if you "bopp" her (rock her in your arms). Maybe start with rocking her during one of those feedings instead of nursing, and then slowly transition the rest out. (which will take a while). Just some ideas.
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 10:53 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Can't you gradually remove one night feeding at a time? Yes, she will cry, but if she is crying in bed next to you then she won't feel abandoned. Your son might wake up, but kids can usually go back to sleep or sleep through things like that. I have read the way you respond to the first night waking will set the tone for the night, so if you have determined that she truly isn't hungry or in any medical distress, then I would let her cry for ten minutes while you tell her that your breasts (or whatever she calls them) are sleeping and that she needs to go to sleep. I always say, "bobby" sleeping, mommy sleeping, baby sleeping. He cries for 10 min and goes back to sleep. The next waking I usually feed him. If he cries for too long, I check his diaper and then if he is still upset, only then will I feed him on the 1st wake up. But remember, if it has been a while since she last ate, she might be hungry.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 10:59 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I nursed my daughter until she turned 2. First, nursing manners. If she tried to pull my shirt down or something she didn't get to nurse at all. But I also taught her the sign for milk so she could tell me she wanted to nurse without resorting to pulling my shirt down. I highly recommend that.

As for night weaning, I just did it cold turkey, CIO, terrible, terrible hard way when she was 20 months old because she had never once slept through the night, was waking 5-8 times to nurse at night and I was 10 weeks pregnant with her brother. It was hard, but after about 2 weeks she was sleeping peacefully at night in her own bed. Could you push your 4 yo's bedtime back by 30 minutes and move the baby's up by 30 minutes so that there's an hour between them? That should give her enough time to fall asleep. It will take some adjusting, but it can work.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:01 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• i wish i could change the bedtimes. i am able to get them both to bed without difficulites (but she does nurse to sleep.) i cant really move either bed times as we get home with just enough time to make a quick dinner then shuttle the kids off to bed. its more the middle of the night wake ups that i worry about letting her cio. plus i heard that cio is one cause for depression later in life and we are already predesposed in my family.
    mommy06and09

Comment by mommy06and09 (original poster) at 11:11 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I feel for you & do not look forward to weaning my LO. I would definately look into talking with a Le Leche League Leader. Check out thier website to find someone in your area. They have fabulous information & are not pushy at all!
    shareleann

Answer by shareleann at 12:22 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• About sticking her hand down your shirt, try to nurse only at night and use a cup all day, pumping to fill the cup.
    She should be sleeping through the night at that age. Make sure she is eating enough at dinner, then nursing before bed, or pump it for a cup.
    I think that as long as you are cosleeping you'll be nursing at night whenever she wants. You can't just put it away. She'll need to get used to sleeping away from you so she knows that nursing is not an option in the middle of the night.
    Good luck!
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 9:09 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I just stopped around 6 months. It was no longer an option for her, and she seemed ok with it. I think the best way to do it is cold turkey, and I know that will cause a lot of grief at first, so try to do it when you know you're going to be home all day and not have to go anywhere. Just sternly tell her no when she pulls on your shirt. It's the habits you probably have to break more than the need to nurse at this point.
    SlightlyPerfect

Answer by SlightlyPerfect at 9:30 AM on Nov. 16, 2010