Moms / students please answer... How do you balance college and raising children?

I am a mother, small business owners, wife, church goer, student. When and how can/ should I find time to work on my online class?

lmt_mom2010

Asked by lmt_mom2010 at 10:53 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• It's very difficult. You have to set up at least two days a week to go to the library or school to do school work so you don't have any interuptions. Use nap time and bedtime to do work. You might have to put a few things on hold, such as a bookclub or Bible study group for the time being, at least until you get onto a good schedule. You will be tired. You will need a lot of coffee. Ask friends and family to watch the kids, even if you are home you can at least be in your room doing work for an hour or so. And do not ever tell yourself that you'll work on it tomorrow. It's way to easy to get behind when you take even one day off. I'm in law school with 3 kids- it's hard, but possible. Best of luck to you!
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 10:59 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I am a single mom who works 2 jobs and goes to school part time. It is all about time management. It is also about knowing your study habits. If you have to have absolute quiet to study then make sure you plan some alone time with no distractions. Have your hubby help watch the kids for an hour or two and hole yourself up in your room. Make sure your fam understands you aren't to be disturbed unless the house is burning down. I usually put my son to bed and then study for an hour or two before I go to bed. It is tough and you have to be organized but you can do it. GL!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:01 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• It's very challenging. I started grad school full time and it's tough. You need a lot of support from your family. Explain to your husband and kids that you need the time to do your school work just like they do. Cook ahead on the weekends if you have time for the week. Designate chores to everyone in the household., i.e., laundry, cleaning, food prep and grocery shopping, etc. You can't do everything, so reevaluate what is important and do what you can. Good luck.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 11:01 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My husband is graduatng this semester. It has been a rough ride the last few years while he was in school. It's all about time management. The calendar is our best friend! You only have a certain # of hours to spend doing things, so you have to decide where to spend that time. You may decide 5 hours of sleep every night for the next few years is worthwhile, so you can spend a few hours every night on school work.
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 6:43 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Prayer, establish a schedule and get help from DH
    mommyg24

Answer by mommyg24 at 4:28 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• It was one of the hardest phases of my life, and I do not recommend it. The only reason I finished college(and I had to find a sitter and attend classes on campus) was because my Daddy had to sign for my husband and me to get married(I was 18), and we promised him that we would both finish school, which we did. But it is very, very difficult and I would not want to have to do it again.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:00 AM on Nov. 17, 2010