Please help me!!!

I have two dogs. My older dog, a Havenese is nine years old. He started peeing all over my house. It all began when we went away and I had a pet sitter come in last year. I took him to the vet to see if he had a UTI or kidney or bladder issues, $300 later I found out from the vet that he was normal. He said he was reacting to the stress of us going away and to try and train him as a puppy again. We did. Nothing worked. I had to buy belly bands but in a busy household someone takes it off to let him out and "forgets" to put it back on him and he is constantly peeing on everything. I don't know how much more of this I can put up with. Any ideas or suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Pets

• If he has to learn again, it will be very hard maybe impossible to teach him. I believe you can "teach an old dog new tricks" but everyone in the house has to be in on it....NO FORGETTING
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 11:04 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Keep him in the kitchen or bathroom while you're not home and maybe outside while you are, if he has shelter. Here in WV it's the law that a dog have a doghouse or shelter (maybe in the garage or something) to be outdoors for more than 15 minutes.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:05 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Maybe it's time to make him and outside dog.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 11:32 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Okay here is the thing with older dogs it is going to take longer to train them just like it is with small dogs it took me 2 years to potty train my dog older dogs its the same way i am not saying it will take 2 years to train him but it will take longer.. It will be back on every 1hr to take him out and make sure to give him a treat and praise him... u can do it... It is because of you guys leaving and him stressed out because of it
    Navymommy1

Answer by Navymommy1 at 1:12 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Sometimes dogs get week muscles and they don't know they're peeing. I can't remember what it's called.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 8:30 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Shouldhaveleft, that is the worst piece of advice ever.

Is he fixed? Maybe it's time to look into a geriatric neuter.

I agree with Navymommy...either people stay consistent with him or put him in a crate, the kitchen or whatever when you aren't able to pay attention to him.

He is an old dog and for you to be even thinking of giving up is pretty disgusting.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 11:25 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Dogs will pee on things for various reasons, not just age or illness related. My daughter is certified in dog training, very knowledgeable and has a blog. I will let her know to come here and she can give you ideas, tips and her blog page. Never give up on a dog. Our female dog, Lil Girl, was abused, scared of people especially men, and trusted no one. She would go potty in the house, get into the garbages, etc. My daughter was young then, 13 or 14. She took it upon herself to work with Lil Girl. Within a week, she got LG's trust and stopped the potty and garbage issues. Within a month we all had LG's trust, she learned tricks and her whole personality changed. She became loving and protective. There is always hope with animals. You have to be consistent with training of any kind. Always be patient, calm and understanding. Dogs have emotions just the same as people. My daughter, Jaz, will write you tomorrow.
    VictorianLove

Answer by VictorianLove at 9:47 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Hi. As you read in my mom's post, I am a dog trainer. I will need some more information before I can truly tell you my opinion on the situation. You can email me makinggooddogs@yahoo.com and we can discuss this more.

My pet blog url is http://www.mydogstoybox.blogspot.com/

HopingWaiting

Answer by HopingWaiting at 12:47 PM on Nov. 18, 2010