Help for sleep?

I have an appointment to see my doctor next week, and I'm looking for suggestions on what to talk to him about for help with getting to sleep. I sleep so lightly that the tiniest noise or movement wakes me.

I can't do Ambien because it makes me sleep too hard and I sleep through my baby (just under 3 months old) crying. Melatonin gives me horrible nightmares. Valerian root does nothing. Clonopin (sp?) didn't help either. I've had a sleep study done, and no, there is nothing physical wrong that keeps me awake/waking up. I have a strict night time routine that I always follow, so that's not the problem. But right now, I'm running on almost no sleep, have major PPD (still working on getting that under control), and am going to school full time. I'm running on empty and need help to try to at least get some sleep, but still be able to get up with my little guy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Health

• No sleep is going to make your PPD worse. I don't know what else to suggest because you can't take anything (and btw, Melatonin gives me horrible nightmares too). I hope your doctor can help you!
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 11:00 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Have you tried hypnosis? There are plenty of CD's/audio you can buy specifically for sleep therapy, and it's all natural no drugs.
    Anonymous

• Maybe Benadryl? Its often used as a sleep aid.
    mommymeof3

Answer by mommymeof3 at 11:01 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I can't use Benadryl. It makes my blood pressure bottom out and I've actually gotten dizzy to the point of collapsing because of it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:03 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Stress, anxiety and depression can cause sleep problems. Do you get enough exercise? It is supposed to help. Do you ingest caffeine or other stimulants? It stays in our systems and in sensitive people can cause insomnia. You sound overwhelmed. A new baby, school, full time. No wonder you are at wit's end and can't sleep. Ask your doctor about other medications. Good luck.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 11:04 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I am a super light sleeper myself too. Lavender is a calming herb that may help somewhat, I found this great lavender linen spray that I used to spray on my pillow before bed but I ran out and can't find it anywhere.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 11:06 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Maybe you have anxiety issues. They usually go hand in hand with depression. If you are not breastfeeding, then you can always try Lexapro or another anti-depressant... if you don't want to go the medical route try yoga and meditation, and other relaxation techniques like deep breathing. Sleeping pills usually cause dependency, even though they say they don't, so I would steer clear of those if you can. Besides, like you said, you want to be alert for your baby if need be. Grab naps whenever you can, and don't panic if you can't fall asleep, because getting worked up won't help matters anyway. But yeah, PPD and anxiety can cause sleeplessness. Hope the doctor can help!
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 11:07 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Could you try sleeping with white noise? Some people use a fan, but I like something a bit louder. I use it for my son because he is a very light sleeper. We use http://simplynoise.com/

There is white, pink, and brown noise - brown is the fullest sound... like a rushing waterfall or something... I find it soothing and it covers up the little noises. It might take a few nights to get used to, but I would try it..... its better than having to take meds
    CariBou11

Answer by CariBou11 at 11:14 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Have you tried natural herb teas? I have the same problem and the teas have worked wonders.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 11:18 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My husband swears by binaural beats. I know it sounds kooky but he puts his iPod in at night is out within 20 minutes. His therapist recommended it for PTSD. I've tried it but can't get my mind to focus enough. It supposedly can help with insomnia.
    bubsiclesmom

Answer by bubsiclesmom at 11:31 PM on Nov. 15, 2010