America loves to hire their veterans! What a bunch of crap.

That is what our veterans, veterans like me, hear upon our exit from active duty. We are told, upon entering civilian life, that companies all over the United States LOVE to hire veterans because of their qualities in leadership (33%), teamwork (22%), discipline (25%), can-do attitude (10%), and maturity (9%). So, why is it that my four years of active duty (including one deployment overseas, requiring hazardous duty pay for being in a warzone), was only able to get me a retail job barely making ends meet?

After my exit from active duty (as well as my husband's exit from the military), the BEST job I could find after we moved was working at a nationwide drugstore barely making enough money for bills (we were living with my mother for TWO years after our enlistment contracts were up).

Why is it that I can't find a job that "loves to hire veterans" where I live in Texas? Doesn't my time mean anything? Does it?!

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 12:11 AM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Good lord, Gal, that's insane!

Tam, it's the economy, not your veteran status. Lots of people are having trouble finding work these days. I know that I personally liked hiring vets when I was a TV news director. Especially the photographers; those guys did the BEST work and I had a couple stolen away from me by bigger markets!

Answer by gdiamante at 12:40 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Dont take this wrong...But what did you do to prepare for a civilian job other than being in the military? I never realized that being a veteran ment you automatically have a job when you get out. My friend has been doing footwork and networking this last year to get the right connections in the civilian workforce for when he gets out and still is unsure of a job.

The economy the way it is, even if you have a degree you are not guarenteed a job.

Use your resources...GI Bill, Grants and such are all available to you.

As far as not being able to pass classes...ummm not sure what to tell you there, maybe get a tutor?
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 12:28 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• No matter what anyone says, they definitely do not prepare veteran's for reentry into the "real world". We get such high level training while active duty, but can't carry a lot of it into the civilian world. I did a lot of things an RN can do, but to get out and be an entry level butt wiper again? UGH!
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:35 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I would just go with using the GI Bill and find something that you can pass the classes for. I was in the Navy as well and was able to find a job working for the DOD afterwords. Sadly right now is hard for everyone military and not.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:19 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• And _Tam_, don't feel bad, I could not pass algebra to save my life. It's a roadblock for me.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:38 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• First, let me say that I'm also a Vet, and my dh is still military (20 yrs AD). Second, I do feel your frustration at not being able to get a job. But I have to admit I'm a little confused - are you upset with the military, or with the employers, or with the economy, or a mix of all of that? I don't know who the "they" is that you're talking about, but education - GI Bill, Tuition Assistance, etc - are pushed hard in the military. And some companies do give hiring preferences to Vets - BUT - that means that if there are 2 people applying for the job and they're both eligible for it, they are more likely to hire the Vet - but you still have to be qualified for the job, being a Vet doesn't cancel that. You can't blame the military for the economy or for whether or not you got a job when you got out. Lots of qualified people (some Vets) are out of work.

I hope it gets better for you soon though!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:13 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Well I can tell you that my DH spent 20 years in the Navy and cannot find a good job. He is back in school getting his degree. And I know the economy is bad but I would agree with you from what I have seen, corporate America doesn't hire vets the way people think they do.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 12:16 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I hear you!! After I got out of the navy after 12 years, the best job I could find was an equivalent of a CNA. Then we moved and Virginia would not recognize military training as a corpsman (ps is silent) for any type of job like that. I was making $17 an hour in a hospital and then I went to SAHM-hood. I have recently been hired as a DoL contractor on base, but that is only temporary since the base is moving due to BRAC.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:23 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• It seems that a 4 year college degee is the very minimum needed now. It is always good to get a degree---even a Masters. Good luck!
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:29 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I hope you find something soon!
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:32 AM on Nov. 16, 2010