Who handles the dishes on Thanksgiving? Does everyone help? Does the person who cooks the majority of the food get dish duty? Is the task given to someone else? How does your family do it?

stressedmomma13

Asked by stressedmomma13 at 12:22 AM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Holidays

• My mom cooks the turkey and stuffing, we all bring dishes to round out the meal. Three of us clean every year (one sister, SIL and myself) the men and younger sister sit around and complain about how full they are. My mom looks after the large brood of children.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:26 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• My sil does the majority of the meal, but we all usually contribute a dish of some sort. Afterward all us women pitch in - some store leftovers, some do dishes, some clean the turkey from the bones (my sil's least fave job!) One year I had Christmas at my house for my side of the fam. I was 6 mos prego and cooked everything for the meal. AFterward everyone sat in the living room while my mom and I cleaned up everything!!! I was so mad! Even dh came and helped after a while - which he NEVER does! - cuz he felt so bad. So when we get together at my sister's house I don't really do a whole lot. Normally I don't hold a grudge but that just made me so angry! Not to mention I was a bit hormonal!! lol
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 12:37 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• When I was younger I always had to do the dishes...and without a dishwasher! Even though I cook now I still have to do them! Somethings wrong there lol
    mommywood13

Answer by mommywood13 at 1:35 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• We have a rule. Whoever cooks gets to rest while the rest of us pitch in together and clean up. We found doing it together made it more fun and also gave us a chance to gab with each other without the interuption of the children. They knew to stay away from the kitchen so they wouldn't have to help! Hope this helps...
    Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 6:11 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• whoever cooks gets out of dish duty, whoever doesnt has to do it, unless they are caring for a small child, or some other reason...but chances are I will be cooking and dishes even though I have a baby, just to be away from certain spoiled family members that never have to lift a finger lol. (sorry went off on a mini vent)

endurablemist

Answer by endurablemist at 6:20 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• For some bizzare reason, my BIL and I do them, it is kind of our thing, and we have a good time lol. Weird huh? We load the dishwasher and do pots and pans, put left overs away, set out dessert. Has become a tradition without us being aware of it lol
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:33 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• we go to my in-laws place & they do all the dishes..I do try to help but they never want it..so I go sit down & relax!!
    girliemom0406

Answer by girliemom0406 at 11:00 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• At my MIL's (where TG is held every yr) we all help rinse and load the dishwasher... :)

At Christmas time since I do the hosting I do 98% of the cooking and baking and the dish washing...
    I don't mind, been doing it so long it just norm around here...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:19 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Whoever's house is it at does the turkey. The rest of us bring the side dishes. There are some things that different people bring on different years, but there are some things that the same person always does, like my aunt Cindy always makes the pies. We all pitch in on clean up.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:31 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Usually a bunch of us (men and women) will help clear the table and several will begin rinsing plates and filling the dish washer. It's actually pretty much a group effort.
    not-the-momma

Answer by not-the-momma at 3:50 PM on Nov. 16, 2010