carseat vs. booster seat

my 3 yr old weighs 34lbs. does anyone know the age, height or weight as to when we concenvert her carseat to the booster seat and use the shoulder seat belt with it?

mommywood13

Asked by mommywood13 at 12:55 AM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You should keep them harnessed in the 5 point harness as long as possible. They are so much safer that way. My 5 year old is still in one and will be for awhile. She can be in her seat until she weight 60 lbs and I will keep her in it for as long as possible.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:06 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Oh ok, ya I was concerned about the safety too. Im a new mom and want to protect her to the fullest. TY
    mommywood13

Comment by mommywood13 (original poster) at 1:09 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I prefer to keep them in 5 point harness as long as possible. My son is almost 4 and his carseat goes to 50lbs and he's only 36lbs but hes almost too tall for it. We're going to have to get him a new one really soon and its really going to depend on availability here since we're stationed overseas.
    mindi6103

Answer by mindi6103 at 1:20 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Ive wondered about that too because she is so tall. Maybe you can get on off the affees website. Its like a PX, NEX, MCX just online
    mommywood13

Comment by mommywood13 (original poster) at 1:26 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• my 4.5 year old is 38lbs and 42 tall. his graco nautilas goes to 60 lbs... he will be in it for a while.. its so much safer.
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 2:35 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• If you have a chance you should check out the car seat safety group on here. They can help you with an questions you have and even give you some great suggestions on a seat that will best fit your little one for the budget you have. My son is going to be 5 in feb. He is probably about 46" tall and 42 lbs and is in a Britax Frontier 85 still harnessed. I will harness him for a while longer until he is ready to be boostered. I heard that those seats make pretty good boosters as well. It really is safer for them to keep them harnessed until at least 4 years and 40 lbs minimum but really they need to be able to sit properly 100% of the time, which is why he is still harnessed.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 3:19 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• http://thestir.cafemom.com/big_kid/109817/few_booster_seats_are_safe
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 3:40 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• The last I saw the MINIMUM standard was 40 pounds for a booster seat. My son is 4 years old (5 in April) he's tiny anyway but he will probably be in this carseat until first grade, It goes to 50 pounds or so. The longer you keep them in there the safer they are, they don't know the option exists to move to a booster- but once you go into a booster it will be really hard to get them back into a 5 point if you change your mind. ( in our case I don't think my son can be trusted to sit back and not wiggle so he's just not mature enough for a booster)
    lovemylilman06

Answer by lovemylilman06 at 10:32 AM on Dec. 16, 2010