My 7 month old is so clingy lately.. Help...

Is it normal for her to cry when I leave the room for just a second? (and when I say cry I mean screams as if being tortured!) She rarely plays on the floor alone happily for very long likes it if I am sitting there... And I've even caught her get pissed at me bc she thought I wasn't looking at her! I am a SAHM and she's our first... I guess my biggest concern/question is when will she become a lil more independant? I hate letting her cry but I'm in need of mommy time even if i'm doing the dishes

LadyofIvory

Asked by LadyofIvory at 2:31 AM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds like some separation anxiety. He doesn't know when you're coming back when you leave, and he's old enough to really notice when you're gone. It's normal for him to want ALL of your attention (as much as it will make you nuts!).
    Do you have a carrier you can wear him in? I have an Ergo Baby, which can be worn on the back once they can sit up on their own (I assume your son can). It's AWESOME! It's the ONLY way I was able to make dinner for a good 6 months when DS was about your son's age. He INSISTED I be the one to hold him, and it was ALL THE TIME. I had stuff to get done, too! So the carrier was the compromise that took care of both our needs.
    This is yet another phase that will eventually pass, so just try to be patient and roll with it. There will be a time (years from now) that you'll wish he wanted you around! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:31 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• she could be going through a seperation anxiety phase. my one year old son has been doing the same thing. every time i lie him down for bed he screams until i lie him down with me in my bed. if she is going through this phase it will pass. if not she might be wanting more attention.
    xavierlogan09

Answer by xavierlogan09 at 2:43 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Wow, that sucks! I don't know what to suggest than, I let my son lay in his crib and amuse himself for hours from the day I brought him home. Of course I checked on him constantly but he was always happy just laying there and doing his thing, also has always slept great. I had this flying cow that I would turn on for him when he did get a bit fussy over his crib and he loved it. I have said this here on CM before and gotten bashed and accused of neglect. But my son is now 2 and is still very independent, social and loving (comes up and gives hugs and kisses out of nowhere for no reason (I love it!!). Every child is different. You might want to do a little research on her birth sign (i know a lot of people don't put much stock in them, but I recently read all about my sons and was amazed at the accuracy).
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:58 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Is this something new that u are wanting? I mean, have you from day one let her lay alone and amuse herself for periods of time or did you dote on her constantly in the beginning and now want her to be independent? If the latter is true, than she just wants what she is used to.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:36 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• No she was very good at playing by herself! It's just in the last few weeks she has started needing more of me. Even when some1 else has her she will get upset if i leave her sight! We've even left her with the sitter in the past for hours and she barely noticed I was gone!
    LadyofIvory

Comment by LadyofIvory (original poster) at 2:42 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• LOL. She does that too! Had her sleeping in her crib almost all night and now she wont even take her nap in there!
    LadyofIvory

Comment by LadyofIvory (original poster) at 2:46 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• LOL an aries! I basically got a GOOD LUCK with her!
    LadyofIvory

Comment by LadyofIvory (original poster) at 3:01 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• LOL!! My son is a Leo, I think I lucked out with him! Don't know about Aries children but I was in a long-term relationship with an Aries man, who made me (a Virgo) quite miserable and actually physically ill with internalized stress. He just would not talk to me about anything, just avoided! Drove me crazy!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 3:18 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Oh, and DS would fall asleep in the carrier while I made dinner almost every time, so that might help with the nap!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:32 AM on Nov. 16, 2010