Christmas Gifts for Friends

I have a handful of friends who live back home (about 1000 miles away), and I like to send them small Christmas presents each year. I was going to buy them each a $5 candle with a short friendship quote on it (from lakeside.com), but we are short on money and I figure with expense of having the order shipped to me and then separating them and shipping them out to my friends, I need to come up with something cheaper. Any ideas? I was thinking of making some type of friendship knick-knack or something, but have no idea what. Something homemade and easy to ship would be great.

shawnaquijada

Asked by shawnaquijada at 2:44 AM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• A card, with a current photo, Maybe that would be enough. Its thoughtful.
    tsjpop

Answer by tsjpop at 2:49 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I agree with tsjpop. We don't do gifts or cards to friends we do gifts only for kids and parents. If we buy gifts to friends even $2 $3 once, it all adds up and chances are they won't use it. On every Holiday we just send text messages to each other and everyone is happy with that.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:24 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• What about simply baking some yummy cookies, wrapping them really pretty with curling ribbon, and sending them this year? It is thoughful, something they will enjoy, and cost effective. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:16 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• We are baking cookies for friends this year, and sending a card. If you don't bake, sending a card with a picture in it would be fine. I think we all put a lot of pressure on ourselves over gift-giving, I'm sure your friends wou;d be thrilled just to know you are thinking about them during the holidays!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:30 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I agree with baking cookies and sending them! Everyone loves cookies. If you already have some crafting supplies on hand you could get wooden frames for a dollar at Michael's and glitz them up a bit. I don't think they'd cost too much to send. I think we are all feeling the pinch this year.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 10:08 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• If you want something that could just fit in a Christmas card and will only increase your shipping by one more stamp, you could get a brass Christmas ornament that you could have engraved. So your gift and card will be all in one. You could even have the year put on your ornament and it could begin a tradition!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 6:16 PM on Nov. 18, 2010