How do you keep your children from opening presents?

My son will be 3 on December 24, and my daughter is six months. I would love to put out Christmas presents like we usually do (isn't that the point of having a tree out?), but I'm afraid my three-year old will start opening them as soon as he sees them. Are there any solutions for this? Childproof wrapping paper?

shawnaquijada

Asked by shawnaquijada at 2:46 AM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• They dont go under the tree at all, until Christmas Eve! Put out empty wrapped boxes. If he gets one opened he will not open anymore, and will be suprised tofind them filled on christmas day.
    tsjpop

Answer by tsjpop at 2:47 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I still vividly remember peeking at gifts that were put under the tree early when I was a kid. We hide ours until Christmas eve.

Some make their way under, like gifts from other relatives etc...though.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 3:19 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• This makes me sad. I love having the gifts out for weeks in advance...helps build excitement. I guess we may have to do it differently this year :(.
    shawnaquijada

Comment by shawnaquijada (original poster) at 3:22 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• hmm i havent really had an issue with that yet our dd wiull be 3 in Dec as well but you see, we usually put our tree in the living room (which we are hardly at) we spend most of our time in the den. But since she is getting older i will see how sahe reacts but i agree with the other mom that posted put empty gift boxes. good luck
    mymommasgirl

Answer by mymommasgirl at 3:28 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Honestly, mean as it sounds, I tell em if they look, I take the item back to the store and they won't get that present. That works for us.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:32 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I havent put a present under my tree in 5 yrs....:( Maybe 1 day....lol
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 6:00 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• You know I havent had any decent ornaments on the bottom half of my tree in 5 yrs either!! How unfair!
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 6:05 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I put them out Christmas Eve.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 6:57 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• It is very hard for children to wait. We didn't put up our tree until 2 weeks before because of this very reason. And gifts for others, like grandma & grandpa , went under the tree so it looked pretty. I had my kids help wrap those so they saw the item and knew what was in the box. Once they got older and could wait I started putting their gifts from us under the tree. I remember them laying in front of the tree guessing what was in each box without touching a thing! In our house Santa only brought one gift and the stocking so we didn't hide a lot of gifts. Each year it will get easier. Have fun!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:13 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• We don't put them out until Christmas Eve after the kids are asleep.
    Shaylyn318

Answer by Shaylyn318 at 7:16 AM on Nov. 16, 2010