Do you grow your own herbs?

I live in an apartment but have always loved the idea of growing my own herbs. Any suggestions on how to get started? Does it require certain lighting?

VGonzalez73

Asked by VGonzalez73 at 3:08 AM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I was so psyched about growing an herb garden, went to Po Boys and got some herbs. I planted them in a window box right outside my window (go figure). I watered them every day, nurtured the hell out of them for a couple months. The spearmint flourished the most, it was huge. I wanted the mint to make mojitos, LOL! But, I got busy and lost interest and by the time I checked back on them, they were all dried out. Usually it will say on the little tag with the herb what amount of sun it works best in, it does matter!! But I do know that CHIA sells an indoor herb garden kit, you may want to try that out.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 3:26 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I have not had good luck with thee herbs yet, but I am going to try again. i think I will get a small light to keep them under.
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 7:00 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I have a potted basil in my windowsill, it is doing wonderful! I tried to plant herbs outside, and I'm just not much of a gardener. A lady at Home Depot told me that I can grow just about any herb inside - just keep it watered and make sure it gets some sun.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:25 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• If you have windows with Southern exposure, you should be able to grow a variety of herbs in pots on a windowsill or a table in front of a window. If you don't, you may want to get a fluorescent lamp (you can use grow bulbs in it, but they are often unnecessary) to provide sufficient light. If you have a patio/balcony, you can grow in planters on it, but be careful to water sufficiently, because planters sitting on concrete get really hot and dry out easily.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:40 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I've tried several times, but they always seem to get infested with spider mites. :-(
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 11:49 AM on Nov. 16, 2010