What are some ways to cut down cable bill? What is Netflix like?

Our cable bill just shot up. I would like to cut it out but trying to find ways to cut it down. We currently have sports channel to get the local NFL teams/MLB. I just like to watch ABC/NBC/CBS/Fox and most of mine are probably on computer so I am willing to cut those. What is a way to get NFL/MLB without dish/cable package? What about Netflix is it worth it? Has anyone used it through the Wii? What all can you get on netflix the one ad mentioned TV shows but didn't say which ones or if they are old ones.

Also Icarly and nick jr is watched by the kids but they can get over it LOL.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:07 AM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Money & Work

• I know people who have cut their cable out entirely and watch it "streamed" on their computer. You have to have a really fast computer and connection to make it look like real tv though. Netflix is nice if you watch a lot of movies. You pay a flat rate a month, and can rent as many movies as your package allows, returning them when you want to. It only take a few days to get new movies, and they have a "que" that you can set up to pick the movies you'll be renting next.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:42 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• We have the basic package tv/internet deal through Comcast. It's $60/ month for basic channels & internet. A family member of ours called Comcast to get this package and they told her there is no such package. They want you to pay more. She had to speak with someone else and tell them she knows someone who has it, then all of a sudden, it was indeed available. As far as childrens' shows, I hook up the laptop to the tv and play cartoons from youtube or other websites.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 7:44 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• We have netflix and we use it a lot. We signed up for it because we're stationed overseas, and until just this month getting any sort of "cable" sort of tv wasn't possible here. You can watch shows, even current ones on it, but it's not as "current" as on tv. For example - we just finished watching the last season of The Big Bang Theory on netflix. Some things you can stream and watch right away, some you have to put on your list and have sent to you. We have a computer hooked up to the tv and we just watch it right there. Some friends just plug their laptop into their tv and do the same thing. It's like 20 a month (I think it is) for the netflix plan we have (unlimited streaming and unlimited movies, 2 at a time).

We also watch a lot of shows from the websites of the networks that they're on.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:38 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• cont

I would suggest, if there's stuff that you really don't want to give up watching, that before you cancel your cable make a list of the shows that you like and what networks they're on, then go online and do a search for that network (or even just for that show), and see what you can watch that way. You might be surprised at the number of shows you can watch directly from the network's website. Also, I don't know who you have your services with, but another way to help cut the bill is to look into "bundling" your phone, cable, and internet into one package.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:40 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• http://www.channelsurfing.net

You can watch live tv from your computer on this site. I normally just watch my favorite shows on it but I have seen sports channels on it as well.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:02 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• One way of saving money is cutting out all the premium channels. It is possible to watch MLB and NFL games online, but there is a fee for that and if a game is blacked out, it will be online, too.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:27 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Call around to othe providers with better plans!
    mommyg24

Answer by mommyg24 at 4:20 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• We don't have any cable in our house...just netflix. We love it.
    ZanderandBella

Answer by ZanderandBella at 6:20 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I didn't read all of the replies, but what about watching the shows online? Most can be found over the internet now? There is also a way the you can hook your computer up to the TV. Though I think the cords you'll need cost about $20.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 6:30 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• We don't have cable; we watch TV online.

We have mobile internet with Clear.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:56 PM on Nov. 16, 2010