Do your kids go to classmates birthday parties?

Do your kids go to classmates birthday parties? If so do you let them go to them all or just the kids that they are really friends with? Do you leave them there alone or stay? How much money do you spend on a gift?

My daughter has been to a couple 1 in kindergarten and 1 in 2nd grade. She has been invited to more but have not gone for different reasons. I have stayed with her for both of them and so did most of the other parents.I have 2 now in school and was just wondering what other moms did. If I let them go to all it would be very expensive. I don't even throw big parties for my kids, we have a family get together and they get to chose were they want their birthday dinner!

Sunflower722

Asked by Sunflower722 at 7:16 AM on Nov. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• i have 3 kids in grade school. the oldest doesnt do parties anymore, my middle one did have one last spring. i think the older they get the less parties. my youngest is in 1st. i let her go. if iknow the parents i drop off. if i dont i may stay or she may not go if she doesnt really care...some invite whole class whether or not you are friends. usually by 2 or 3rd grade bday invites petter out. i spend 10-15 on a gift depending on how well we know the kid. my oldest is 11 nad he had a friend go with him and my hubby to see a movie and cmae back for cake afterwards instead of a party.
    stargazer74

Answer by stargazer74 at 8:53 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• When my boys were in grade school they were invited to quite a few parties. They would go if the party if we did not already have plans for that day. Most times for a gift we would give the child money or a gift card, as sometimes my boys were not sure what to get the birthday person (especially if the person was a girl). When my kids were younger I did stay at the parties, when they got a bit older (and if I knew the parents) then I would drop them off and pick them up.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:58 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• in Kindergarten, not since then.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:23 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• My kids usually go if they can. I hav found that as the kids got older they are invited to less parties because they have their set friends and are not invited to all the parties.

As for staying it depends on where the party is at. If it is just at a friends house then I do not stay, I will just drop them off. If it is at a place like a bowling ally then I would stay. Also I think it depends on the age of the child. If my DD got invited to a party and she didn't want me to stay I might not. I would make sure it is okay with the mom of the party before I left.

Bottom line you have to do whatever you think is best.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:25 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I don't think they've ever been invited to a party that wasn't thrown by one of their closer friends; they go to 3-4 parties a year. We spend $20 on a gift.

I let my kids choose what kind of birthday party they want (they are older than yours though), my DD11 likes to go to Build a Bear with just a few friends, my DS13 likes to have a bunch of his friends over and they play video games and play air-soft gun war.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:29 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• He has gone to all that he has been invited to. I stay at the party, always safer to have a few extra hands at a kids party. We spend between $15 and $20.
    pbilotti

Answer by pbilotti at 7:33 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• yes, and when they do, i go with them, and we usually spend 20-25 dollars on a gift!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:46 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Sometimes. I always go and we usually spend 20 bucks for a gift.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:54 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• No, because my children don't have a relationship with them outside of school. They also get too many invites, and can't afford to go to all of them.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:09 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I always stay.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 10:23 AM on Nov. 16, 2010