What unites us as people?

Can you say there is anything within your beliefs that would help unite you with someone of different beliefs? What if anything, do you find in common with others?

Do remember these aspects when discussing things with others from different belief systems?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 7:23 AM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Religious Debate

• apparently terrorist bombings and unprovoked attacks on our naval bases tend to unite us
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:24 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Motherhood Experiences
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 7:44 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• the fact that we're human and share this planet is what unites us at the very base. shared experiences, similar likes/dislikes..its all there, and if given time, different things are found out that may surprise even the most extreme opposite 'believers'. for instance, i'm xtian, and i have good friends IRL who are atheist. there are atheists here on CM i can talk to, get along with, and laugh with. on the other hand, there are some i can not; for some reason, the personalities conflict. just when you think you're getting somewhere 'past' the belief differences, something comes along to ruin it, usually because of the extreme belief. but that's just my experience.
    i'm not one to take things lying down, and i'm just as passionate about those i personally care for, whether we share a belief system or not.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:45 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I have Jewish, Catholic, Wiccan, Agnostic, and all flavors of Christian friends. I'm a Buddhist. Our beliefs aren't that much different; we all believe that we need to treat others as we'd like to be treated.

There is no reason different religions can't get along, as long as all views are respected. You don't have to agree, or even like them - but you have to respect the fact that others have different beliefs.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:47 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I have friends, close friends from different religious beliefs. Just because they do not believe in Jesus does not mean they are less of a person, or not a good hearted caring person. They were just raised differently, or a few of them just feel that another religion makes more since than a holy man that created earth and people. I do not blame them, or try to change them. I love them for who they are as a person. We do sometimes talk about the different practices that our religion require. Some are different, however I find it invigorating to learn about other religions.
    mommommomomom

Answer by mommommomomom at 8:06 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• We all live on this planet and have no where else to go. Unless you want to volunteer for the Mars flight to colonize Mars.
    depressedmom65

Answer by depressedmom65 at 8:07 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Besides being all on the same planet I feel that it differs from the type of society you come from. For example if you come from a society that is hunting and gathering, you all have similar jobs and that similarity unities the society. If you come from a society that has different jobs, then the members all depend on each other to survive. I am a child care provider so others depend on me to take care of their children.. and I depend on others, like the farmers to grow my food, the doctors to take care of me, police to keep me safe. I am a firm believer that relying on each other is what unites us all in our society.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 9:05 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I think compassion does this.

Answer by older at 9:09 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• YES- compassion and the security in your own beliefs as being your path and your path alone which cuts across all beliefs systems.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:35 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Love, compassion, equanimity and sympathetic joy are said to be the great peace makers in Buddhism. I think they are good things to strive for whatever your beliefs. A few quotes that I find meaningful:
    "All major religious traditions carry basically the same message, that is love, compassion and forgiveness the important thing is they should be part of our daily lives."--Dalai Lama
    "Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." --Dalai Lama
    "In the practice of tolerance, one's enemy is the best teacher." --Dalai Lama
    There are ideas from other religions I practiced/studied as a child or young adult that I carry with me as well, and these include ideas like compassion, tolerance, not harming others, peace with your own beliefs and acceptance of others among other things. Compassion, love, tolerance, acceptance--all important to uniting people in my opinion.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:06 AM on Nov. 16, 2010