How many of you save your receipts until you get home to rip or shred them?

My Hubby and I do not agree with saving them due to the last 4 digits on it. He says nobody can do anything with just 4 digits! I read in the paper or saw it on the news that people are able to get the rest of the account somehow! Has anybody else heard of that?

4theloveofTink

Asked by 4theloveofTink at 7:37 AM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Money & Work

• They can't do anything with the last 4 digits (I worked in banking for 20 years, and my DH still works in the industry). I save some receipts, but most I just throw away. I always check to make sure that only the last 4 digits are showing though, just a few weeks ago a small store had my entire number printed on it.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:39 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I bring them home to save them and file them away.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 7:51 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• i toss them in my deep hole of a purse and in a few weeks i empty it out and toss most of them,
    stargazer74

Answer by stargazer74 at 9:26 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I save them until I get home then rip them up. I thought nothing could be done with the last 4 digits either then a representative from our bank said if someone is determined they can still use the receipt to get the rest of the numbers. So now I've heard they can and can't do anything with just those 4 numbers. But I believe in being on the safe side and destroying the receipt. It seems even more prudent now since I've noticed every time I use my card now my full name is on the reciept. I've had my card hacked once already due to where I used it and have decided to just be safe and not throw away receipts without tearing them up first.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 9:31 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• If I make a purchase using charge or debit, I keep my reciepts until the bill or statement comes to make sure everything is accurate. Then I throw them away, at home.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:24 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• All visas MC and AMEX start with the same 4 numbers...per company so if someone is determined enough and has the resources theyve already got half of your card number!!! They can sit and play the guessing game until they get it right!! Scary thought..but I keep my reciepts because I am a pack rat and tend to hold on to them! LOL my mom always threw my reciepts away so If i needed to return something I couldnt because of her! UGG that might be why I am so intent on keeping them now!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 2:18 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I save mines
    mommyg24

Answer by mommyg24 at 4:19 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• They can't do anything with just four digits, but that does get them one step closer to getting the whole debit or credit card number. They still have a lot of numbers missing though, including the security code on the other side of the card.

We keep our receipts but not for the same reason since we're a cash only family. If I find better deals at the same store I can take the receipts back and often times get them to return the difference. I also like having them around in case we decide we don't want whatever it is we purchased.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 6:29 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• You can't do anything with just 4 digits... If you aren't going to keep them in order to keep track of finances there is no reason to even bring them home.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:42 PM on Nov. 16, 2010