I think I still deserve to be paid...

I babysit 5-6 days a week for a family friend... I really need the money and the first few weeks went really well... Everyday the time that the 3 kids are dropped off is different and always between 10am - 1pm ... they never call to let me know.. I just wait for them to come.

After the first few weeks we ran into a few problems with them paying late and never sending any extra clothes, food, or pullups ( meaning I had to use my son's clothes and pull ups) ...

But now another problem has came up and I am thinking of just quitting but i still think I deserve my money ....

4 days in the last 2 weeks they didnt show up - no phone call ( didnt answer when I called) and the next day when they would bring them I would ask them and they would just say they forgot ... I had to stay home those days ( because i didnt know if they were going to come or not) and by the time I would realize that they were not coming, my day was

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 AM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• shot... I had to rearrange my plasn for those days, cancel things i wanted to do, etc .... when if they would just have called me or sent me a text it would be water under the bridge
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:58 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• They forgot to go to work and drop their kids off with you? I would be done.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 8:00 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Really isnt right how some people try and take advantage in situations like this because they just assume that because y'all are friends, you won't say anything. Of course you deserve your money, and a clear schedule needs to be set up between the two of you. I know there are times when changes in schedules will occur but you need to be notified in a timely fashion so that you can plan things with YOUR children as well. There isnt a daycare on earth that would put up with this and you shouldn't either. You def need to do something about this before you continue to get walked on.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 8:01 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• If you want to continue sitting,. you need to set boundaries. Only drop off betweeen this time and this time, and they will be charged for a day if they no call/no show.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 8:03 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• It does sound like they are taking advantage of you, and not giving you common courtesy of phone calls, not providing supplies/snacks for their children and assuming you will provide and assuming that you will be there whenever they happen to need you. I do think you need to sit these people down and tell them that if you decide to watch the kids, things will have to change! #1- you expect to get paid (and name your amount) also you have the right to charge for no-shows, #2 you need to know ahead of time what time the children will be dropped off, and notified if they won't be coming over as you do have other things you could be doing #3- they need to provide supplies/snacks for the kids-- either send things over each time, or send things in bulk that you can store and use as needed. I would have a contract made up and both parties sign it. Good luck!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:05 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I used to babysit for a friend while she worked evenings. I fed her child dinner (and usually lunch because when she would drop her off at 2 she had not eaten) and kept her for 9 hours each evening. Then her cousin started coming for visits and I ended up having the girl until 2 or 3 in the morning while the mom went to hang out with her cousin. No extra pay, or even advanced notice. Finally I had to say enough is enough and for her to get another sitter.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:06 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• They don't respect your time. If you keep working with them, they'll get worse and worse about it. I'd sever the deal asap. And yes, you definitely deserve to get paid. I don't suppose there is anything in writing to support a case in small claims court? (if you'd even want to take it that far)
    DivaDynamite

Answer by DivaDynamite at 8:08 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• You may have a really tough time getting paid for those days they didn't show up and if it's really that bad, I'ld cut ties or sit them down and tell them "listen, if they aren't here by ___ time, I'm going to assume that they aren't coming and go about my day. Same thing goes for the afternoon, if you haven't picked them up by ___, I'm going to have to charge you and extra $___ per every 15 minutes your late." Point blank!
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 8:14 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• If you had to wait around for them, yes, you do deserve to be paid. I think that you need to give them an ultimatum; keep to a schedule, provide pull-ups, change of clothes, pay you something for the days you wasted waiting, and pay on time, or else you won't keep doing this. Or else just tell them it's over, and wash your hands of the whole thing.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:46 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• You are being taken advantage of. Tell them you are quitting. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:46 AM on Nov. 16, 2010