I need some advice, i got fired from a job, but it is completly dumb!!

OK so I worked as a barista, at out local coffee shop. Easy peasy job.....nothing to it ok. Well I worked there for a little over a month, and i was still new and learning things OK. Well anytime I made a mistake, or did something wrong I got called out. And thats understandable. I excepted that. BUT sunday when I worked someone came threw the drive, and I asked if i could help them. It was 8:59 pm and we close ay 9pm. Well no one answered, so I looked and no one was there, they had driven off. Well I guess they had called in the next day (yest) and said that I didnt answer them, and just ket cleaning. Well my boss calls me and tells me that I am fired over this. There was another girl working with me, and I talked to her thinking she got into trouble too. She never even got talked to....we were both working, I was training still and she was training me. Is this a valid reason to fire someone, or what?

a-boys-world

Asked by a-boys-world at 8:12 AM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Money & Work

• thing is an employer doesnt even need a reason to fire you, not are they required to give warning. I experienced something similar once, too.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:13 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I just feel like there is something going on. I tried to talk to my boss, and she said she doesnt have to talk to me about it, and eventually started ignoring me.
    a-boys-world

Comment by a-boys-world (original poster) at 8:14 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• What can I do?
    a-boys-world

Comment by a-boys-world (original poster) at 8:15 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• That sucks..but at every job similar to this one that i've ever had you HAVE to serve that customer as long as if you are still within your business hours. Doesn't matter if you only had 1 minute until closing. As for the other co worker not getting scolded for it, very strange. But I suppose it doesn't matter now.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 8:15 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• sadly, she's correct, esp now that you're not even on the payroll anymore. You can't really do anything. I feel bad for ya.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:16 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• My dear, unfortunately in a lot of states (Florida being one of them) an employer can fire you on any given day just because he doesn't like your eye color and since you weren't there long enough, it sounds like you may not even qualify for unemployment but I would still apply, you might be surprised.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 8:16 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Most states are "at will," meaning that they can fire you (or you can quit) at any time for any reason. For whatever reason, this didn't work out, The best thing to do is to find another job (don't put down that you ever worked at this place), and move on.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:18 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• ctink: I agree I was trying to serve that customer, but they drove off. I didnt say anyhting in refrence to we are closed or whatever. I was trying to help them , and they drove off.
    a-boys-world

Comment by a-boys-world (original poster) at 8:18 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• you could always call HR
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:21 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• tell your boss..."if you choose not to talk to me about this then i will talk to your boss"
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:22 AM on Nov. 16, 2010