MAde to Breastfeed?

SO i red this article in Parent magazine that was basically debating whether a mom should have to breast feed or not. Should a healthy mom whom is producing milk be made to breast feed since she does not have any health or medical reason why she cannot?

newmommyjazz

Asked by newmommyjazz at 8:36 AM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Health

• First, let me say that I nursed both my kids. I nursed our ds all during my pg with our dd (there's 15 mos between them). I nursed both my kids beyond the first year (ds weaned himself right before dd was born, dd nursed until she was over 2). I would encourage any mom who was even remotely interested in nursing to give it a shot, the benefits and "upsides" to it are well worth it, imo.

HOWEVER - that having been said - the key words there are "mom who is even remotely interested". If your child is fed and healthy and thriving and loved and you are meeting all their physical, mental, and emotional needs, I could care less if you nurse or bottle feed your baby, and if it's formula or breastmilk in the bottle.

What a way to build resentment, frustration, and possible child abuse - nursing should NOT be FORCED on anyone.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:46 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• No. Don't know what you mean by "made to breastfeed". The decision to breastfeed is the mom's alone and she should not be pressured by anyone.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:39 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Absolutely not. My body, my child - it's nobody's business whether I choose to breastfeed or not.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:40 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• No, no one should be forced to do anything against their will.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:40 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I agree. Its definitely a personal decision. Some woman are uncomfortable with it or maybe just don't have time.
    randibosin

Answer by randibosin at 8:41 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Nope. Just the same as the reason why I am pro-abortion or more correctly the RIGHT TO CHOOSE what happens to her body.

Once we start letting people tell us what we can and cannot do with our bodies, we give up the right to make our own decisions.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:44 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• no. Nobody should be forced to do something they don't want to.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:49 AM on Nov. 16, 2010