Would you let them stay home?

If everything that could go wrong in the morning for your child has, & they are starting off the day on the wrong foot - would you let them stay home from school?

shareleann

Asked by shareleann at 8:57 AM on Nov. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes!
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 8:59 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Nope. They have to learn that things don't always go as planned. Coping skills are something that are learned, not taught. If any of my kids was having a bad day and I said "well, let's just not go to school" they are being taught that if something is difficult they don't have to deal with it.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:00 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I am guilty of giving my children a day off at school and pulling out the sick card. I only do that once a year if I do it at all
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:06 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Not, unless the going wrong included vomiting or running a fever. Learning to get through life includes getting through the "what ifs" and the "oh no's." Hiding in the house doesn't teach them anything. Going to school is a fresh environment for the morning and a fresh start. Besides, they wouldn't want to miss school, they love it that much.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:08 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I think it really depends on what you mean by "everything that could go wrong in the morning for your child has". Do you mean we didn't have the right cereal and they woke up late? That is considered, by some of my kids at least, to be everything going wrong. Or do you mean something really bad? In that case, I may. It would depend on the child and the exact circumstances.
    mama10johnsons

Answer by mama10johnsons at 9:08 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• For me it depends. AS a mom you can tell when your child just seriously needs a break and when to give them a hug and send them on their way. We all have days where nothing goes right and we have to muddle through, but yes, there are times when you say bump it, we need a do over. Even as adults we get to a point where we just need a chance to hide from the world for a few hours, get it together again, and start fresh in the morning. Just be clear about how often you will allow do overs and make sure they don't use it as an excuse to miss a test they didn't study for.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 9:09 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I think with my kids, if that happened once then they'd manufacture bad mornings to get out of going to school. So no, I'd send them off on the bus with a kiss and a little prayer that things go more smoothly for them once they get to school.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 9:11 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• No. They only stay home if they are sick.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:13 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• No, only if they were sick did they ever stay home.

Answer by older at 9:15 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• No. They have to learn to move through the bad stuff and to be responsible even when it happens.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:33 AM on Nov. 16, 2010