Any ideas for a fundraiser to benefit little girl with Tay-Sachs?

There's a family in my community going through a tough time right now. Their 16 month old daughter, Aspen Brown, was diagnosed with Tay-Sachs disease in August of this year. So far, no child has survived this. The doctors only gave her 8 months to live. BUT her family has poured themselves into research & have found an experimental treatment in Peru. They went there to try it 2 weeks ago. Aspen's already starting to show improvements. Anyway, the family took out a loan to try this treatment, & the mom quit her job so she could spend as much time as possible w/ Aspen. So I'm wanting to do something to help. I had a yard sale for them 2 weeks ago & made $331. Now it's too cold to do another one. I'm not creative so I can't make &sell stuff for them. I thought about cleaning houses, but I have 3 young children. (4, 3 and1) Anyone have any ideas of something I could do? All ideas are welcome! To learn more, visit helpforaspen.com

renea20

Asked by renea20 at 9:10 AM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Health

• Cook books are my favorite fundraisers! I'd be happy to donate a few recipes and buy a couple books as well!
    You can also find a home party rep & have a fundraiser party - like pampered chef or discovery toys. The key with that is that you have to find a rep that is willing to give you the cash instead of the credit - not all reps will do it. You could also do a spaghetti feed and a silent auction & auction off things that have been donated. I also suggest going to the family's church, or places that they frequented & see if they can help. Maybe you could put up "penny jars" at local restaurants or stores for donations.
    shareleann

Answer by shareleann at 9:17 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Could you organize a huge benefit dinner all donated buy caterers and a banquet hall? Charge $20 a person?
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 9:13 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• in our town we have a resturant that does a spaghetti dinner (they donate it) people have gotten the banquet hall dontated as well. People just make a donation for dinner and they usually have an auction for stuff that local businesses have donated. You can do a 50/50 drawing as well that night.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:17 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• you could do a dessert/soft drink bar and have a local band play for free and do like a dance party theme event these go over well at my daughters high school and we just ask the local grocery store/ dollar store (what store you have in your area) to help with donations......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:46 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• A spaghetti dinner with a chinese auction could raise money. My band has played at a few of those (we donated our time), and they have raised anywhere from $800-$6,000. If you ask local businesses in the area to donate items for the auction, and a restaurant/bar to donate the space (and even the food sometimes!) you'd be surprised at how much money you can raise.

Best of luck to you, and the family.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:14 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• you can purchase cases of world's finest chocolate from their website and sell the bars, you make 50% profit.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 9:42 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Awesome, Guys! Thanks for all the great ideas. And anon, please visit the website to learn more.
    renea20

Comment by renea20 (original poster) at 9:22 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Thanks, mhaney and cara. Those are both great ideas, as well! I'm going to run all these ideas by my husband and a friend of mine who's helping me. Or I may do all of them! lol. Thanks again guys! I was having a brain freeze and couldn't think of any ideas.
    renea20

Comment by renea20 (original poster) at 10:03 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• you can't cure tay sachs. Sorry. Its just a fact. If this treatment worked, then it would be used. I'm sure the babys brain is already damaged to an irreversable amount. I wish this family didn't ahve to go through this, i'm sure its hard on them. But there is nothing that you can do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Nov. 16, 2010