Do you know who said this quote? How do you interpret it?

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated."

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 9:34 AM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I do not know who quoted this. However, I think it means if a nation has compassion and love for the animals. Then you know the people their are full of love, care and compassion for all living things. That speaks volumes about how the country will treat all living things weather only in their country or in another country. It shows they have morals and values with respect to give to everyone.
    mommommomomom

Answer by mommommomomom at 9:36 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Gandhi
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 9:35 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Mahatma Gandhi , and as I interpret it, it means that if a nation has compassion for animals, it does have it  for all living things.

Answer by older at 9:40 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I'm pretty sure it was Gandhi. IMO it says that the true morality is judged not in how we treat those who are our "equal", but how we treat those we consider to be less than ourselves, because in reality they really aren't less than us at all. Its in seeing how we treat all life, not just "higher" life, if that makes sense.... At least that's what it says to me. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:17 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I agree, I think society is only as good as how it treats it's very young and it's very old. I think Italian's have this down pat! They value the afore mentioned groups greatly. Animals too.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:39 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Mahatma Gandhi
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 9:38 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• That would be Gandhi. I am constantly in agreeance with the things he said. He really was an amazing man.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:39 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• It was Gandhi, and "Older" (PP) said it best - "if a nation has compassion for animals it has compassion for all living things."
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:46 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Gandhi. It's one of my favorites and I was just thinking about it on another post.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:55 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Agreed
    depressedmom65

Answer by depressedmom65 at 10:17 AM on Nov. 16, 2010