Cloth Diapers

Do you use them? If so, what brands/techniques do you find to be the best? Have they been worth the extra effort, both on the budget and on your baby's bottom?

I plan on using cloth diapers during the day, and disposable at night. I've had quite a bit of mix reactions from my family and friends. Some look at me like I'm stupid, and give me that "you'll see" speech (this is our first).

redmoonintexas

Asked by redmoonintexas at 5:20 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've been using them since my 1 year old was 5 months old, and it's going fine. I use the bum genius 2.0's and 3.0's. They're expensive, but easier. They work great and wash up good. I can even use them at night with an extra insert. You'll be able to use them at night, especially with the tiny wets of a newborn. Neither of my sibs or any of my friends use cloth, so I get that same kind of reaction. My M.I.L. won't use them, so I have to get disposables if she babysits. You're going to have a lot of that. But you're the chief diaper changer, so it's your call! It is more work, esp. the poops, but in my opinion- it is worth it.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 5:28 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Mainly for the environmental aspect (I feel good I'm not contributing so much to the massive amount of waste we generate). But also for financial reasons- it does end up being cheaper, even with these expensive diapers.
    If you want to learn more, you can check out www.cottonbabies.com. That's my resource, and where I learned all about cloth diapering. It has this "cloth diapering 101" feature that explains everything. 1 thing: I switch to disposables when my babe has a bad diaper rash (which isn't too often) b/c they do wick away the moisture better.
    Message me if you have any other Q's about them- I love them and love promoting them!
    sfwilson

• I think it depends entirely on you. I never put a lot of consideration into using cloth diapers, but seeing how easy things have been at home (I'm VERY lucky), I think I could have been using them. One thing I might suggest, if you really want to use them: when someone else takes care of your child, give them the option of using disposable. I think cloth diapers make a lot of people nervous, and you want his/her caretakers to be as comfortable as possible with your baby. Good luck, I'll be anxious to hear what you decide and how it works for you!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 5:29 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• True about making people nervous! They're intimidating for some reason! It's like, people are afraid that you think you're "all that" for using them. :)
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 5:31 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Thank you all for your response. I definitely would not make other people use my method of diapers, so yes, when our baby is traveling we'll definitely pack the disposables.
    One of my family members said that all the washing and drying would make it more expensive than disposables, which I don't buy. Thank you sfwilson for that web site!
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 5:40 PM on Nov. 3, 2008