I have 6 pie pumpkins.... please share your favorite recipes or ideas.... thanks

miritrose

Asked by miritrose at 10:03 AM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I have several recipes, both sweet and savory. Send me a message if you are interested (these boxes are worthless)

Answer by rkoloms at 8:01 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Pumpkin bread and/or muffins. On Allrecipes.com Maine Pumpkin Bread is fantastic. It makes 3 loaves or 36 muffins (or a combo of the above). It's good with chocolate chips or raisins.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:08 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Creamy Pumpkin Pecan Squares
    1 box yellow cake mix
    1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
    1/2 cup chopped pecans
    1 large egg, lighly beaten
    1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
    3 large eggs
    1 cup canned pumpkin
    1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
    1 (16 oz) box confectioners' sugar
    Whipped cream (optional)
    Ground cinnamon (optional)
    Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease a 13x9 inch baking pan.In a medium bowl, combine cake mix, butter, chopped pecans, and 1 egg. Press mixture evenly into bottom of prepared pan. In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and 3 eggs with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until mixture is smooth.
    Pour over prepared crust. Bake 35 minutes. Cut into squares to serve. Serve with whipped cream and lighly sprinkle with cinnamon, if desired.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 4:33 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I want to make homemade pie with pie pumpkins too - how many pounds of pumpkin is usually need. How much should I buy? The ones at my store are small.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 10:05 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Why don't you buy the ready made filling? You can still make it your own by adding brown sugar, more cinnamon or nutmeg, etc. It's one of those things that taste just as good using the store bought filling as if you made it from scratch.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 10:07 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I have no idea.... hopefully someone can tell us what to do with them?
    miritrose

Comment by miritrose (original poster) at 10:07 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Stuffed pumpkin appetizer
    1 pie pumpkin
    2 apples
    3/4 cup raisins
    3/4 cup walnuts ~optional
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    2 teaspoons cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350
    Cut the top off the pumpkin and scoop ou the seeds. Wash the apples and dice them into quarter inch pieces. Toss the apples, rasins, and nuts with both sugars and cinnamon to coat evenly. Stuff the pumpkin with the apple mixture. Put the top of the pumpkin back on and bake for about 45 minuted or until desired tenderness of the pumpkin. Serve with crackers or bread of your choice.
    MelSwim7

Answer by MelSwim7 at 10:24 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I use Paula Deen's pumpkin pie recipe. It is delicious! To use your pie pumpkins in place of canned in any recipe, just cut them in half, scoop out the seeds, and bake them face down in a pan w/ about 1/4 inch of water in the bottom until they are nice and soft, then puree them in a blender or food processor.

I also like curried pumpkin soup. I use Mollie Katzen's recipe for curried apple soup, but use about 3/4 pumpkin and 1/4 apples.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:35 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• break off the stem. cut the pumpkin in half and scrape out slime & seeds. keep the seeds to roast, toss the goo. lay the halves in a pan big enough that they both lay flat. add a little water. bake at 350 for 30-60 minutes, or until a knife slides in easily. let cool, scoop out the flesh, puree, and you can use just cup for cup like canned pumpkin. i freeze mine in 1 or 2 cup amounts. i do not know how many pounds or cups you need for a pie, but you should be able to find a recipe easily - any recipe that calls for adding the spices will work.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 12:42 PM on Nov. 16, 2010