Crazy or not?

Do you think I would be crazy to drive 10 hours away to get a puppy, my husband thinks I am, he thinks I should settle for a different breed of dog that we could get nearby, but I have my heart and mind set on this one, I am planning to start the trip day after thanksgiving. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Pets

• I agree with your husband.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:10 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Depends. Is it a pure breed at a good price with great credentials? Exactly what you were looking for and you can't find one comparable closer?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:10 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• My mom traveled 4 hours to get their dog and I thought that was insane. 10 hours seems a bit much!
    randibosin

Answer by randibosin at 10:11 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Is this not a dog you can get somewhere else for a reasonable price or for the same price you would spend on 20 (round trip) hours of gas, food, etc for that sort of trip?

I think it sounds rediculous as well. :(
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 10:11 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• When you get a puppy it's like adding another member to your family so it has to be a correct fit. It may not be as monumental but consider it like adopting a child. Do what you want to do! Besides, if your the one that's going to drive the 10 hours, what does he give a shit about? I know men that drive cross state for a good fishing hole or to buy "the car."
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 10:15 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I myself am a stubborn woman and if I want something don't mind driving some distance for it, but I don't know about 10 hours. After our family pets passed earlier this year I decided to wait a while before getting another dog. I finally decided it was time to move on and get a new puppy. I'm glad I found one around the corner from my house the dog had just had puppies. But if you decide to go thru with it have a safe trip.
    suelo74

Answer by suelo74 at 10:17 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Crazy or not, you don't want to just buy from a puppy mill. As long as its the dog you want, its obviously worth the time and money to you. I say go for it!
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 10:18 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Wrong person to ask. I waited 4 years to get the certain breed of dog I wanted. People kept telling me to go to a pet store and get something else. Needless to say, many of those people I no longer speak to.

If you want the dog go for it. As long as it's not from a pet store or a backyard breeder, then there is nothing wrong with it.

What kind of dog are you getting?
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 11:19 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I personally wouldn't do it, my animal shelter is right down the road from my house and that's where I usually go when I want a pet. If it was a dog in need, I might do it though. lol
    Dark-N-Prego

Answer by Dark-N-Prego at 1:02 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• It depends on the individual situation. Personally, I have a savings account set up that I am building to buy the puppy I want next year from an amazing breeder, and to cover all normal vet, food, and misc. expenses for the first 2 years of the dog's life. I know that a lot of people see it as crazy that I am even thinking of spending 4 grand on a dog, but he will be a family member for over a decade, is the breed I've wanted for the past 20 years, and I've put a lot of thought into this.

If this is *THE* dog for you then a 20 hour round trip is fine.
    Awby

Answer by Awby at 12:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2010