Headbanging

Ok, this is really bothering me. Lately, when my 15 month old son gets upset or angry (usually after being told no) he will lay himself down and hit his head a couple of times against the floor. Not hard enough to bruise himself but enough so I can hear it. Is this a tactic to make me give in? I really don't like it but don't know what to do. HELP!

hootie826

Asked by hootie826 at 10:11 AM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Head banging is just ONE of MANY indicators of autism. I have three that have autism and not one of them was a head banger. Let's not freak this mom out . If it concerns you-make a trip to your pediatrician and see what they say. That's what they are there for, to answer your questions and talk to you about your concerns. I agree with some of the other moms-it sounds like he's frustrated. Normal kids do bang their heads, I don't know why it's thought that just kids with autism do it. One more myth.....
    Alynn74

Answer by Alynn74 at 10:34 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Be careful...my cousin who is not 40 use to do that when he was very young and come to find out he was autistic. Have him checked and if there is nothing wrong, pad his playpen, crib, him...and let him go at it.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 10:12 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• He'll grow out of it. My daughter did the same thing.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:13 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• He is likely venting his frustrations. My oldest used to bang his head against different surfaces - windows, walls, floors - almost like an experiment. I asked the doctor and he said that it was normal. With mine, I'm not so sure. Yours sounds more like part of a tantrum. Call and ask if you want to just make sure.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:18 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• my daughter did this
    started around this age
    she is now three, she does not do it anymore
    she does have autism
    i took red 40 out of her diet and she stopped
    look at your food labels, take out anyfood that has artifical food dyes (LAKE dyes, red40, yellow5, blue1-biggest ones used)
    when i took this out, head banging stopped soon after, her rash went away, eye contact improved and she started to wear clothes without freaking out
    i spoke to her doctor about her head banging, he said kids are quirky, but he was wrong, she has autism
    have your child referred to doctor to check for this
    is there any other signs, stares at lights, stares at fans-things spinning, poor eye contact-which is hard to judge as this child will look at mom more than anyother person and who are you going to compare to?

could be autism, could not??
    read up on signs, do not freak out and make normal actions into autism, but do not blow off either,
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:25 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• In some children it is a form of munipipulation due to the first times they started doing it and your reaction to it. But in others it can be a sign of something far more serious like Autism as another mom already pointed out. You need to discuss this with your pediatrician. Also note any other behaviour or motor skills that might be an issue.
    karenmarie1971

Answer by karenmarie1971 at 10:25 AM on Nov. 16, 2010