Has anyone else been told your baby has to have a helmet because of being flat-headed??

if so can you explain to me the process that you have to go through and how long the child has to wear this. My son who will be 1 on the 12th of this month went to the doctor today for something else and I was tlking to the doctor about this flat spot on his head and this is what she had told me they might have to do.

Asked by Autumnlover68 at 7:27 AM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I did not have this problem with my son, but I can tell you that his cousin should have had the helmet when he was a bit younger, because his head is now the shape of a block. It is pretty bad. I read in Jenny McCarthy's "Baby Laughs" that her son had to wear one for a few months, but she said in the book that it worked amazingly. I know they used to be indivdually fitted to each person's head and cost about $2,000 if your insurance doesn't cover it (some do) but I remember about a year ago they started making some that were adjustable so they were going for $600-$800. I am not expert, this is just what I know about it. If you think it is neccessary, I would definetly recommend going for it. I think my nephew is going to get teased so much as he gets a little bit older. It is sad to see it coming, but kids can be so mean. And his parents don't care. :o(

Answer by supershlea at 8:44 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I work in a therapy setting and see kids all the time with helmets. If your child's head is significantly mis-shapen, it is about the only thing that will correct it. The helmet is typically worn for 23 hours per day. The ones that are fitted specifically for your child are the best ones.

Answer by Abbeysmom310 at 1:52 PM on Jun. 19, 2008