What's the best & easiest way to break the habbit of child getting in bed with you?

He will be 1 in 2 weeks and I only want to break it because I have another one on the way! I really would rather not let him cry so if anyone has any other examples they could let me in on that would be great.

Felicia1603

Asked by Felicia1603 at 5:25 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not sure there's any other way at this point. Once he's used to it, any change is going to cause protest. Have you tried sneaking him to his bed once he's asleep. Let me know in the morning what you did. Then over a weeks time, try getting him to sleep in his bed. Say you did so good last week sleeping in your bed mommy wants you to be a big boy and start here. Lots of postive attention.
    Anonymous

• Sorry to say there will be some crying involed, but thats normal cause he is not getting his way. Work into it slowly, start with naps so he gets used to his crib. After that try putting him in his crib after he falls asleep, if he wakes up in the middle of the nite let him lay with you and put him back in his crib. It's going to be harder on you them him, it just takes time. At some point after a week or two if he is still having a problem, your going to have to let him cry it out a few times. It worked for me, good luck to you.
    musiclovingmomm

Answer by musiclovingmomm at 5:38 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• never start! lol... i dont know. my son just isnt aloud in our bed, besides an occasioanl nap with mommy. other than that, he knows he sleeps only in his bed..
    Anonymous

• What ever you do stick to your guns, there will be crying but dont let him cry for 30 mins and give up then he would have went through it all for nothing. Start on a Friday so you have all weekend to try to get him comfortable with the situation. Make it fun read to him and stay with him until he goes to sleep. Dont let him cry for more than about 15 min before you go back in there and kiss him again to settle him down. BUT DONT PICK HIM UP.

This will not be easy but you can break him it you stick to it. GL
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 9:04 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but my kids ( and grandkids) can snuggle with me when ever they want. I only have one rule...no toys( stuffed animals and the like). Some time when my 33 yr old comes over, and I haven't gotten up or have already gone to bed, she'll snuggle with me. I don't know, but we talk, plan, imagine, vent or simple just say nothing. Then, there are times when my seven year old "just wants to be alone" and sleeps by herself. I take every moment given to bond.

Star419

Answer by Star419 at 9:40 AM on Nov. 4, 2008