Terrible 2's help!!!

My 2 year old dd throws the WORST tantrums where we're honestly afraid that he'll hurt herself!!! She SCREAMS and smacks her head on the ground, walls.. basically anything hard!! I could really use as much feedback as I can get!!! :/

newmom28

Asked by newmom28 at 10:38 AM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• One word...Benadryl!
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 10:40 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Totally normal! Just do NOT give her attention for it. Put him in a safe soft place, like a bed or the floor with pillows, and let her go. She will cry it out. She needs to learn now, that this is NOT the way to get what he wants. He will try to hold out, may go an hour...but stick to your guns. Don't talk to him, try to reason with him etc. He will get over himself if you force him to.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:44 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Pick her up and place her in a safe zone that you create using pillows. And then walk away. She's doing it for the attention. And if she continues to get up and hit her head where it is hard, buy a bicycle helmet and require her to wear it when she's having a tantrum. The biggie is to ignore.

twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:49 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Helmet and padding! For real, I'd put her in bed and let her go for it. Ignoring it will be hard, but the more attention you give her for it the worse she'll get. It's going to take time and patience but she'll get past the tantrums.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 10:53 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• My son went through the tantrums when he was 2, the best advice I got was to just let him scream it out, I used to sit there and count the stiches in a pair of socks, to help me ignore him. When he realized that the tantrums weren't getting him anywhere, they stopped.
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 2:04 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• This hasn't happened very often to us, but when it did it was at the store (of course!). So I took my screaming 2 yr old out to the car immediately, strapped her in her carseat, and stood OUTSIDE the car while she finished her little fit (obvioulsy I would not just leave her in the car, and trust me, I could still hear her!)
    The next time we were at the store she started to get whiny again and I warned her we would go out to the car if she didn't behave. She seemed to have gotten the message because she was pretty good after that!
    brighteyesbryar

Answer by brighteyesbryar at 6:45 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• What leads up to the tantrums? Could there possibly be some sort of physical or emotional need she's not having met?

Like, perhaps she's hungry or tired and then you say no to her, the tantrum isn't really about what you said no about.. it's about needing sleep or a snack.

Could she have food allergies?

Make sure she's getting a nap if she needs one at a reliable time, or start her bedtime routine earlier or alter the routine if it's always before bed. And, I'd try to take into perspective what it is that is really causing the tantrums. Does she just need to emotionally unload, more/less stimulation or attention, less no's (more exploring), answers to "why", more consistency, or more empathy (acknowledging feelings) from you?

If you can figure out the REAL WHY, that will help you. Course, sometimes toddlers just throw tantrums, baby overload! ;)

Try not to respond with anger, though, it won't help,GL.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 2:24 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• By the way, I don't really think "put a helmet on her and walk away" is necessarily sound advice.

One thing that I remember that will always stick with me, is that one of my friends talked about how when she was really little she got migraines. And she'd bang her head off of stuff and throw horrible tantrums. Her parents were at a loss and got increasingly punitive about it because she wasn't expressing that her head hurt. The migraines were triggered in part, and often, by chocolate.

I'd personally make sure there wasn't anything physically wrong with your LO, or it wasn't something simple to remedy like putting her to bed earlier or feeding her snacks (as someone who still throws tantrums when hypoglycemic, it could be that simple).. before I'd just "ignore the attention seeking little brat". JMO!

And NO don't give her Benadryl. I think that advice is obviously very poor.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 2:29 AM on Nov. 17, 2010