I am having a problem with my daughter, she insists that it is a waist to learn enything at school and want to go to gclc instead of finishing regular high school, what do i do?

billiemom76

Asked by billiemom76 at 10:40 AM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• What is GCLC? Is it an alternative high school? Will she still get a high school diploma? I would dig deeper into why she doesn't want to go to high school. Is she bored? Are there people giving her trouble?, etc.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:44 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Why is that a problem? She has presented you with an option. Not everyone is made for learning in a traditional academic atmosphere.
    If she thinks she is wasting time learning anything at her traditional high school, look into the alternative that she has presented to you. Lay down the law though if you choose to go this route. That she MUST complete a diploma program, that she must keep up with her course work. That she needs to outline a plan as to what she is going to do beyond "high school".
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:45 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Does she have dreams for her future? Does she want to go to college? Try to talk to her about wanting more out of life. What does she want to do with her life? find out and help her map out the steps to get there.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:46 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I think some investigation is in order, does she not participate in any activities? Friends? I think that you need to speak to her guidance counsler, and go from there, it is pretty unusual for a girl not to want to stay and be with her friends from school, I think something is up!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:48 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• What is glc? My son just goes thru the motions of school. He says as usual it is alright. He doesn't really carry on a conversation, etc. with me. However, I feel it is important to get her to finish school. that is what I am doing with my son. the problem I have is getting him to do homework
    BUDDYBEC

Answer by BUDDYBEC at 10:53 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Is this the Gillespie County Learning Center? It looks very interesting. Any decision like this shouldn't be taken lightly. Look into it with her and evaluate it. Also, talk to the teachers she has now to see what problems exist . If the problem is your daughter, and not the school, the other program may not be for her. There is info online and it appears to be for very self motivated students. Also can she start it this late? Good luck!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:47 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I question this also. What is gclc? If it is GED that is harder than going to school!
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 12:53 AM on Nov. 23, 2010