Do you think this is unreasonable? Holiday question!

We used to drive around like mad to get to my hubby's family and my family for Thanksgiving and Christmas! We now spend Thanksgiving at his family's house and Christmas and mine. Anyway this year a very good friend of mine is coming from out of town,, I want to come home on Saturday so I can spend some time with her! MIL is throwing a fit that we won't be staying all 4 days, husband wants to keep the peace, but I haven't seen her for over a year! I will follow what you all think, I am trying not to be selfish!!

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 10:41 AM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Holidays

• Your meeting in the middle. I don't see anything wrong with that. It's not like your completely ditching her. Go for it.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:39 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• It's not like you're spending the entire time with your friend. Sounds like MIL needs to chill. I would visit with my friend...especially one I haven't seen in a while.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 10:44 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I say go see your friend.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 10:50 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• If it were me I would let dh know that I want to spend time with my friend and that we could take two cars to MIL's and that he can stay the weekend because you understand that it is important to him to spend time with his family and he should also be able to understand that you want to spend time with your friend who you usually don't get the opportunity too. MIL should be happy with that, if not that would be her problem not mine. We have such busy lives and it is hard to fit in all we have to do and to keep in touch with everyone, so you have to take the opportunities when you have them. It isn't like you are cancelling on them, just trying to fit everyone in.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 10:50 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• How often do you see MIL? how far away does she live?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:44 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• We see her 5 or 6 times a year, we would see her more, but she refuses to drive the 2 hours to see us,,,we usually go and spend the weekend with her
    kimigogo

Comment by kimigogo (original poster) at 10:46 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Go see your friend, its not the hole time you will be gone its one day. ask mil what she would do if she was in your place.
    philsangel

Answer by philsangel at 10:51 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Its ok to see your friend. YOu could leave hubby and kids at MIL's as another option but seeing your friend is fine!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:55 AM on Nov. 16, 2010