is this to much to spend on the holidays?

How much do you normally spend per child?

Well for my 2 year old nephew I am spening about 92.00

on my my youngest daughter she will be 3 I am spening about 475.00 on her, but that is because I am also buying her birthday presents at the same time since her birthday is only 2 weeks after christmas.

on my 5 and a half year old I am spending about 731.00

and then I get gifts for both of them to share as well that will be about 284.00 is that to much?

My husband only wants me to spend nomore than 300.00 he says cheaper if we can do it, but I don't know how he wants me to get both kids stuff and my nephew stuff for 300.00 what do you think? I like buying for them on the holidays since I don't get to just go buy toys for them any other time. Also the neighbor lady gave my kids toys and took them back so I told them I would make sure they had a good christmas

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Holidays

• I spend more than that PER child so no...I think that is VERY reasonable.
    YuppyMom

Answer by YuppyMom at 9:30 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I have an only child and buy for family and no way do I spend close to 731 for all. I have spent 150 on my son and we are done. That includes a video game, some toys, clothes,etc.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:53 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I think its reasonable to spend $300 or LESS on the 5yr old, $200 or LESS on the 3 yr old and $25 on the nephew. IF you can afford it. You should not go into debt for Christmas!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:53 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• also most of there toys were from this lady so they don't have much now so I have to replace what this lady took from the kids
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:51 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• i think that 300 dollar limit for your children and nephews is tight, but if that is all you can afford then they are young, you could buy stuff used. but if you finances aren't a problem then you should spend maybe 500 total. but 700 on one child and 400 on another is an awful lot. i think that your dh is right in needing to take it back a little.
    sleepymamaof3

Answer by sleepymamaof3 at 10:55 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• First, I think the question is how much can you afford for christmas? I don't think there is an answer to how much is too much. If your husband is saying 300 or less, is there a reason, such as money is tight right now? For me I would never spend that much money at christmas for children of those ages. I am just of the belief that you don't really have to spend that much to have kids enjoy christmas. But you should always figure out what it is you can afford and then go from there.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 10:55 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• we can afford christmas, DH is getting a bonus chceck which is 2,000.00 and 400.00 is for the house payment then there is the rest left so we do have the money it is just my DH hates spending money well at least like that. He spends money on himeself left and right, but when it comes to me wanting something or my kids for birthdays and christmas he doesn't want to spend it. But we do have the money
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:58 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Does your husband not want you to go in debt for Christmas? I think it seems like alot! DS's birthday is 4 days after Christmas and I usually spend about $300 for both! Your talking over 1,000 for 3 kids,,how much do you have to spend on everyone else? If you wait until after Christmas to get your daughter's birthday presents, you can probably get alot of it on sale! If you have the money I see nothing wrong with it, if it is going on a credit card, re-budget!!!!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:01 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Why don't you take the bonus check and put some into savings? I do not see why you have to spend that much on kids. Or better yet, take the difference and put into a college fund for the kids...let it grow some. My dh and I live frugally but still have fun. Somethings like new car or house, yes we go into debt for. But we try to live way below means b/c you never know if something will happen.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:01 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• We are spening $150 on each of our children, so $300 total and then we put a $50 dollar limit on how much we spend on everyone else
    saydeejo

Answer by saydeejo at 11:05 AM on Nov. 16, 2010