Did having a baby change your stance on abortion? Your thoughts...

I used to be pro-choice, at least for rape cases, etc as well as those with health problems... now that I have a child, I'm against it not so much on moral grounds but because I think it's such a waste of a baby when I see so many people who would be good parents who cannot have children. I wasn't thrilled when I found out I was pregnant but now that she is here, she is my heart and soul's delight, and even if I couldn't take care of her, I'd want to be able to bring this much joy to others. Your thoughts?

jazzminesun

Asked by jazzminesun at 5:33 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• It changes my stance but a woman should still have control over her own reproductive health.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:21 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I have been against since I was 14 when I tought myself about it for a speech class. I just couldnt believe ppl could do those things
    perksmom

Answer by perksmom at 5:34 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I lost my baby, at home, at 13 weeks. I held that perfect, VERY small, baby in the palm of my hand and my views on abortion changed. It was a baby...right then....even if it couldn't survive. Not many people see them at that stage. Trust me when I say it was a BABY.
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:36 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Yes, it changed me from being very pro-choice to being not so much. I know what precious gifts they are now. And I don't buy that they aren't really a baby when they're a fetus anymore either. Lily has always been my baby, since I knew she was there!
    I feel like an abortion would have haunted me forever and torn me apart. I don't want that for anyone. But I still understand that some circumstances, I just can't fathom.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 5:36 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I recently had a discussion with my husband about the whole pro-choice pro-life thing. He is pro-life and I asked him the exact same question. If his decision changed after he had children and he said it did. He said he may have felt differently if he had gotten some one pregnant accidentally when he was younger. But now he is pro-life.

slick05

Answer by slick05 at 5:45 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I've always been prolife and I also did research on it when I did a debate in high school about it. The things you learn about it and what really goes on behind closed doors and hearing from nurses and doctors that used to perform them on people and the heartbreak they have gone through knowing they were in fact taking another human life its devastating. I talked my best friend out of an abortion and her son ended up being my God son. When you realize that life would have never been, its sad.
    jojo13

Answer by jojo13 at 5:51 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Nope. And going through infertility did not change my mind either.

The choice still has to be there.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 6:00 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• No, having children and suffering several miscarriages, did not sway my belief that it is a woman's right to privacy and her right to choose.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 6:01 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• No it confirmed my belief. I had a very ruff pregnancy (physically and emotionally). Not everyone has the support that I had. No way does anyone have the right to decide if a women should have to go through that.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 6:28 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Yes. I was naively pro-life before my first, very difficult, unplanned pregnancy. I realized it's not right to force a woman to go through a preganncy she doesn't want. I CHOSE to continue my pregnancy and I adore my child, and I'm so glad I had the CHOICE so that I could take an uncontrollable situation - a surprise pregnancy - and make it my own decision again.
    bluecrayon

Answer by bluecrayon at 6:39 PM on Nov. 3, 2008