Leaving Kids in Car

Would you leave your kid(s) in the car if you just had to run into the gas station? If the weather was mild, and there were windows where you could see them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Nov. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• Nope, never have and never will. Its a pain in the ass to run in and pay gas, just takes a few minutes. Turns in to 15 because of the kids but it sure beats the alternative.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 11:27 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• No. I have been know to park at the pump closest to the door and then stand at the door and ask the cashier to come get my cash if I can't pay at the pump though. I won't walk inside with them in the car.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:27 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• My 4 yr old NO, my 14yr old yes.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:28 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Nope. I wouldn't want my laziness of choosing to not take the extra 30 seconds of unbuckling my child cause me a lifetime of pain & regret.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:28 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Even if it wasn't against law (which it is here), I still wouldnt feel comfortable doing it. Theres always that fear of locking yourself out of the car on accident, my curious 4 year old getting out of her seat and putting the car in drive, or of course some crazy ass jumping in and driving off with the 2 most important people in my life in the back seat! Hell no!
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 11:28 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• My older ones maybe depending on the time, depending on the situation.
    14 year who will be 15 years old maybe.

11 year old no she wants too but sometimes she ask.

My 7 and 8 year old nope....
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:29 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Nope,
    Last year (in my city) someone stole a car from a gas station and it had a sleeping 6 months old in the back seat. Mom had just run in to pay the bill...
    I don't leave my kids alone in a car unless I'm in my driveway and I have to run back into the house and get my purse or something..and I always lock the door and have the engine off.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 11:30 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I've noticed one thing about gas stations.... it is never as simple as a one minute trip into the store to pay. There is always a line, a slow tiller, change to be given, loud noise which makes it hard to hear what is being said to one another etc.

That one minute trip therefore ends up being about 5+ minutes and as a parent I'm sure you know what could happen in a matter of 5 minutes when it comes to kids.

Adults are even faster and may have much more devious plans when it comes to vehicles, child abductions, etc.

Personally, I would rather take the hassle and the time to grab my kids and take them in with me than to be able to watch out the window as my child gets stolen in my car or something else happens while I am or am not looking.

Look at it this way: Would you rather fasten them into their seatbelt or leave them out of it becasue afterall... you can see them. Then you get into a wreck. How do you feel?
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 11:32 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• No.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:32 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• If the child is older, yes, but with my 5 year old NO! I agree with what everyone is saying. I think it should be illegal in more states. My mom always said she wanted to take a car that someone left running with kids in it to the nearest police station (in Colorado we saw a TON of people who would leave little kids in a car, go in a building and not return for 10-15 minutes)
    JuneBug1985

Answer by JuneBug1985 at 11:33 AM on Nov. 16, 2010