Breast Engorgement

I had my baby 1 week ago, I have decided not to breastfeed (the decision was made at the hospital) I'm just wondering how long I can expect for my breasts to be engorged. It's pretty painful. How do I shower without stimulating my breasts so the engorgement doesn't last any longer? It seems like my milk came in and I started feeling engorged Friday. Any advice would be helpful! Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Mine were engorged up to 2 weeks per child I had. With my first experience, it was recommended to ACE bandage them, wear a sports bra that was snug and that would help to dry them up. As long as they are not being stimulated or placed under a warm shower they will dry up faster. I did not do the ACE but, I did do the sports bra but, with nursing pads and they dried quite nice. With my 2nd, I BF for a month or so and then did the same routine with the bra and pads. It sucks but, what can ya do? Also, take some pain meds. That helped, too.
    CandyHorse

Answer by CandyHorse at 11:56 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• You should probably express some of the milk to relieve the pressure and pain. I am not saying drain them just hand express to relieve the full feeling. You can try putting cabbage leaves on your breast to dry up the milk and you can wrap them tight in an ace bandage or wear a tight sport bra. That will help with the pressure.
    kerijeanbean

Answer by kerijeanbean at 12:00 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• The showering will help relieve the pressure and may help you out..
    gabrielle_x

Answer by gabrielle_x at 12:03 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I breastfed, but the initial engorgement was HELL. We didn't have a good latch, yet, so the engorgement was actually making a successful nursing relationship much more difficult. I used cabbage leaves and a tight bra to gain a little control of the situation. The cabbage leaves felt SOOOOOO good. Know it probably sounds gross, but you don't stink, and it feels so good. Also, I draped a washcloth over my breasts in the shower to keep them from getting more stimulated.
    Airamana

Answer by Airamana at 1:09 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I've heard binding your breasts, with an ace wrap, and waiting it out is the best thing you can do. Avoid stimulation. If you don't nurse, you should dry up fairly quickly. Good luck.
    Mamie_85

Answer by Mamie_85 at 12:04 AM on Nov. 17, 2010