Young child screams as TSA agent "pats her down"

How much is too much? This poor little girl...the TSA agent is obviously not at all good with children...

Is this really keeping us safe?
Necessary, or over the top?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 11:47 AM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• linky

lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 11:48 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• here's a copy and paste for those who don't like to click

http://thestir.cafemom.com/toddler/112485/3yearold_accosted_by_tsa_agent
    lovinangels

• I have no idea anymore....I've stopped flying because I got tired of being treated like crap....if I need or want to go anywhere I drive...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 11:49 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• The kid obviously doesn't like being touched by strangers. Most kids her age are like that. However, that does not mean that she should be excluded from the safety checks.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:50 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• surely they could have had mom or dad smooth her clothing out so that they could see bulges....and what about kids with special needs, like autism? This would be highly traumatic for a child with a sensory disorder.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 11:52 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• What does Israel do? What about uing bomb sniffing dogs? There has to be a better way..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:52 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• The horrible truth is that people use children for terrorist attacks. If children weren't subject to the same searches as everyone else, I think the terrorists would catch on pretty quick.

I didn't "see" what the TSA agent did, but I'd have to guess that any child that age would be upset with a stranger in a uniform patting them down in a busy loud airport. If the agent was brusk, it could make it even worse.

We fly a lot, and honestly I would rather have an upset child or two than a plane crash. I've seen friendly TSA guys, and not so friendly ones - but honestly they aren't WalMart greeters, they are there to do a job, be on guard, and try to keep everyone in the air safe. I can't be too upset with them not being a bag of laughs.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:54 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Personally, I think it is over the top. The risk simply isn't high enough compared to the measures instituted. For example, look at Israel where the terrorist risk is very high. They don't pat people down, take away your water bottles or check your shoes, yet they have an excellent record when it comes to prevening terrorists from boarding their planes/entering their country. Granted, their people are highly trained at their jobs & have a vested interest in doing their jobs well as compared to the typical airport employee in the United States, but maybe that's because here in the U.S. they know the risk is small, too, so why spend the money to train all those people & provide "real" security?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I really cringe at that video...there has got to be a better way for children!
    3beautbabies

Answer by 3beautbabies at 11:57 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Regarding the sensory disorder question - all rules apply for everyone. If a child (or an adult) can't handle being patted down, they are going to have to find other transportation. Sophisticated x-rays are expensive and slow. Dogs can only detect so much. A parent patting down a child is no different than them not being checked at all.

I have a SS with autism (severe, to the point of medication and special classes). If I have to fly with him, and he needs to be patted down he will be. We have chosen to not fly with him for a variety of reasons, it's just not a good environment for him.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:58 AM on Nov. 16, 2010