Is anyone receiving financial aid for school tuition?

If so, do you get it every year? Also how much?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Nov. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have a pell grant. I had one the last time I was in college, too, as well as other things (scholarship and two other things I can't remember). This time, I only qualified for a pell grant for some reason, even though our income was lower than last time. I got about $2,000 which was just enough to cover my books and classes.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 12:13 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Oh, and you fill out your FAFSA every spring after you get your taxes done, and that determines your eligibility for that fall and the following spring. For example, if you had filled out a FAFSA this spring, 2010, it would effect your financial aid this semester and spring 2011.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 12:15 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I was able to fully get my tuition covered this semester through loans, grants, and scholarships. It came to...$9,430. I have the same amount awarded to me for spring semester.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 12:17 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I got $5500 from the federal government and $1800 from the state per year for 2 semesters
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 12:36 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• The amount you get will depend on several factors. The U.S. government has the federal Pell Grant which is based on income. The maximum amount is around $5500 broken up into two installments for the fall and spring semesters. You may get less than that depending on your income, dependents, etc... just like with tax returns. Some states have separate grants, some are based on income and some aren't. For instance, my state has a lottery that is used for state residents and they can get I think $1800 per academic year. Some states may be different, and around here, you have to mention getting it up front because they do not automatically include it with you fill out your FAFSA. Go to the FAFSA website to fill that out, but I strongly advise you to also see a financial aid officer as well before any issues arise. Sometimes they send your forms back to be corrected or added to, so it's faster that way. I missed out going one...
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 12:45 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• ...semester because they kept sending the forms back and asking for different ones and then when I'd hand those in...they'd change it again. So here is my advice. Do the FAFSA and then print out copies of ALL of your most recent tax papers. Schedules, 1040, 1099, etc... and take them to the school. That way, if anything needs to be verified, they have everything right there and can go ahead and do it. You will also probably need to sign something. This REALLY sped things up for me and cut down on problems, because classes get gone quickly and if your payments haven't been verified, they will not hesitate to kick you out during a purge. Also, if the financial aid officer sees that your income qualifies you, they can put a "do not purge" on your account even if the money hasn't gone through yet.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 12:48 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• my husband is goign to fire school in january...were waiting to see how much he will get...it's nerve racking
    TiffanieAnn

Answer by TiffanieAnn at 12:53 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• yes it covered tuition last semeste and then this semeste rand next semester i think i believe its alot between loans and grants. so next semester i am going for a scholorship for my final semster. not sure if i will get it but i will try. and also this year i will also quailfy for a state grant. i had moved to a new state and i had to be here a least a year and i was not. there is alot of information on the website.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 3:47 PM on Nov. 16, 2010