I'm actually scared of vaccinations for the first time in my life, and it is due to all of the posts on here. What are the actual statistics of issues due to vaccinations?

Does anyone have any actual studies and findings from recent studies showing the statistics of issues due to vaccinations?

Both of my daughters have had them and turned out fine, but my son is due for another set soon (8 mths) and I am honestly getting a little wigged out, but I think it is due to all the stories I hear on here.

Please don't bash me for asking for more information.

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 11:52 AM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Go to the CDC (Centers for Disease Control) website. It is federally mandated that ANY complication, from very mild to severe, be reported to them. Secondly, you can go to the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) website. I tend to trust the CDC more, but you can look at the two websites to get a pretty clear view on issues arising from vaccines. Additionally, talk to your doctor. Doctors don't want your child to become ill (without vaccines, or as a complication from one), and the little money they make from vaccinations is NOT worth a potential lawsuit. They know your child, your family history, and are a good source of information.

Any information received from ANY secondary source is not trustworthy. There are so many ways to conduct a trial, relay statistics, and do sampling - you can prove ANY theory by presenting the data in the right way.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:07 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I'm open minded to anything. But I have searched for valid statistics on vaccinations and found nothing yet. As far as links go, you can find a link to support just about anything, all the way down to white supremacy so I don't trust links totally. I'm gonna watch this post.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:54 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, World Health Organization and American Medical Association have all found that the minuscule risks of vaccines are outweighed by the tremendous benefit they provide to individual and public health. I do agree with spacing them out, but the hysteria surrounding vaccinations is ridiculous.

SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 12:01 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Dont listen to any of these crazy posts on here. Finish his shots. People talk a bunch of nonsense on here, but you already know what is best! Oh, and PP is insane....children should go see the Dr. anyways. You know they check on development and general health? How ridiculous.
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 1:26 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• VAERS probably has tons of info on adverse reactions because that's who it gets reported to. However, they've never released any of it publicly. The best thing you can do is research whatever you have questions on and then trust your instincts.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 12:02 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• i read the book "vaccines are they really safe and effective?" by Neil z. Miller! it has a lot of great info in it to help u decide wat to do! we do not vac at all and our dd is very healthy and happy! its ur choice but make sure to do ur research first!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 12:37 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Issues like what?
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 11:54 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• It's a difficult thing to figure out. Most doctors are hesitant to report to VAERS just because it's difficult to determine what is an isn't an actual adverse effect to a vaccine and what is something unrelated happening at the same time.

My best advice is space them out. Don't get shots out of multi-use vials, insist the doctor gives you the package inserts, get one a month and keep a close eye on your child for several days afterward.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 11:58 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Ballewal: Like I've seen posts about kids dieing, kids being allergic to certain vaccinations and getting thrown in the hospital, becoming Autistic (which I happen to think is a born trait, but some feel it is brought on by vaccinations), etc.
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 12:00 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I think the biggest problem is, that even though side effects are to be reported to the CDC, I have worked for several doctors, none of which reported side effects related to medications/vaccinations, even though they are supposed to. It's not super imposed and so they don't do it. we have learned on numerous accounts the FDA/CDC/drug makers not reporting effects of drugs/vaccinations. As a nonvaccinating mother I think many vaccines are just unneccesary. They are a suggestion not a requirement. although schools may require you to have certain vaccines we have a waiver from our church. my husband is also a chiropractor. I'm not against getting the flu or chicken pox, I would rather my children build immunity themselves as opposed to a vaccination trying to do it for them. My children 1 and 3 1/2, have not been vaccinated, medicated, actually haven't even been to a pediatrician and have not had more than a common cold so far
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 12:47 PM on Nov. 16, 2010