My brother and his wife just had a baby, is it too soon to announce we're expecting?

They had their baby on Saturday and I don't want them to think that I'm trying to steal their thunder by announcing that I'm pregnant. I think I might be upset if they did the same thing to me, but I'm sensitive - DH doesn't think it's too soon...do you think we should wait a couple weeks or does it matter?

JJsMoMMy519

Asked by JJsMoMMy519 at 12:05 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I wouldn't think it would matter. But if it makes you feel better then wait a couple of weeks until they get settled and everyone has had a chance to visit them. They will still have months to have the attention until your baby is born. If anything tell your brother and sister first to see how they take it. If they take it good then ask them how they would feel if you went ahead and announced it to the rest of the family. Most likely they will be thrilled for you to experience all that goes along with being pregnant. good luck.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 12:11 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I'd go ahead... I personally would not be bothered. But some people are funny that way. How about making the big announcement at Thanksgiving dinner, or at Christmas? In some ways waiting is better to get past miscarriage windows.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:09 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Yes of course you should wait. Let them have at least a couple of weeks. I had my daughter and my in laws did that. To make matters worse, the baby was born the day before my daughter turned one. I felt like the party and the birth was very much over shadowed. Let them have to attention time.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:12 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I'm already almost 15 weeks along...we were going to announce last week and then they told everyone they were getting induced so I didn't want to say anything then. I won't be with very much of my family for Thanksgiving, so we'll have to do it all by phone calls and stuff like that.
    JJsMoMMy519

Comment by JJsMoMMy519 (original poster) at 12:12 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Give them some time. Your DH is just excited and I dont blame him. I would tell a few close friends that would NOT spoil the surprise for your big day.
    CandyHorse

Answer by CandyHorse at 12:13 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I don't think so... I would tell everyone the news its not like your stealing the spotlight from them
    mommyof2chasmin

Answer by mommyof2chasmin at 12:14 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• NOT TOO SOON AT ALL!!! YAY! Congrats! They had there 9 months and a few days its your turn :)
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 12:14 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• However, if you wait, they might just ask how far along you are and you cant lie on that.....Then, they may ask why you did not say sooner. But, I am sure they would understand :)
    CandyHorse

Answer by CandyHorse at 12:14 PM on Nov. 16, 2010