How can I wean my 21 month old off the bottle?

mrschelywong

Asked by mrschelywong at 5:43 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I just took mine off at 11 mths old. I also took my son when he was 11mths old off the bottle too. I was also like making 6-7oz bottles and putting like 2-3oz of it with soy milk to wein her off formula. She spits up regular milk. I just was giving her juice like 1-2hrs or less after her bottle in a cup. She seemed fine. I just did this half formula half milk thing for like a few weeks and shes fine and I had actually started it when she was 10mths. They say u should have ur kid off the bottle before 1yr old. Shes loving the cup and I use the gerber insolated cups and they don't leak and they stay cold longer. It's easy you just have to not care weither ur kid throws a fit, ur the parent. Just try to give ur kid juice in a cup for a few days and maybe milk too. Hopefully ur kid is off formula too cause it can get harder when their older.
    Anonymous

• TAKE IT AWAY! Depending on how many bottles a day, it's best just to "rip the band-aid off." If he/she is still getting more than a nighttime and morning bottle, it may be easier to take the others away for 3 days to a week, then take one or the other (whichever they aren't as desperate for) first, then another 3 days to a week, take the last. My preference was taking it away altogether out of nowhere.... I distracted DD with other things at bedtime, started a new thing with her routine, and let her cry (no more than 10-15 min). She was 11 and a half months old. Get him/her tired enough, distracted enough, etc, that the bottle really isn't at the forefront of his/her mind. GL!!!
    mommy2danica

Answer by mommy2danica at 6:20 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• i took both mine off at 12 months old, it was fairly easy. make a goal of bottles per day. sippy cups are great but of course only transitional. my daughter is 19 months and has been using them since before i tried weening her off the bottle. now she's very progressed into using cups. making the bottles "disappear" is good during the day. if they ask for a bottle offer a sippy instead. if they refuse, keep telling them to hold on, and distract them with somethimg else, like can you help me get your snack together, or help mommy clean up first. and keep offering the sippy thru out the day. at night try other tactics to put them to bed. lay them down walk away, let them cry. come back if theyre still crying hug them lay them back down. keep on til they fall asleep. also keeping only one or two bottles in the house is good. and of course is going to take time
    misa.marie

Answer by misa.marie at 6:36 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• just take it away cold turkey..... mine was off hers by 11 months
    klinemom2

Answer by klinemom2 at 6:41 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I agree with the other women. The only way to do it, is to take it away all together. One day, just throw every single bottle in the garbage, that way you have no choice. You might have to deal with temper tantrums for a few days, but generally, after a day or two, the child will adjust. Try to offer some snacks or a new activity to do when they would normally take the bottle. If you try to just cut down the # of bottles, you might get lax when they throw a tantrum and give them one, and then they will know they can get away with demanding one, and it will be harder. Good luck!
    tnmomma2hnh

Answer by tnmomma2hnh at 8:55 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Cold Turkey! That is really the only way. I tried to "wean" my twins off of the bottle. My MIL finally said, just rip the bandaid off. They will cry for a couple of nites, but they will get over it. Guess what, she was right, they did, it was only at night time when they cried and it was only two nights that they did. It was actually painless (or as painless as it could have been....LOL)
    sammyjnrtwins06

Answer by sammyjnrtwins06 at 9:44 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Take the bottles go to the trash can with your child and have them throw them away. Tell him/her that big girls/boys use cups and not bottles. That way they see the bottles are gone and you have warned them about using cups. Thats what I did with my cousin when my aunt was having troubles getting him off of it. I had my ds off the bottle by 7 months and my daughter well she refuses a bottle so I really dont have to worry about it.
    kristinlimon

Answer by kristinlimon at 5:56 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Why do you want to? There is no need to take the bottle away.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:01 AM on Nov. 4, 2008