Something we can ALL agree on....These "punishments" are a JOKE..What can be done?

WASHINGTON – A House ethics panel has found Democratic Rep. Charles Rangel of New York guilty on 11 counts of breaking House rules.

The full ethics committee will next conduct a hearing on the appropriate punishment for the former chairman of the Ways and Means Committee. The committee will then make a recommendation to the House.

Possible punishments include a House vote deploring Rangel's conduct, a fine and denial of privileges.

The eight-member ethics panel had sat as a jury to judge Rangel's conduct. The 80-year-old congressman from Harlem was charged with 13 counts of financial and fundraising wrongdoing.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 12:24 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Wow...what would he have to do to get removed from his seat??
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 12:27 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• It isn't just him! Its AL of them!!

Seriously...and he was JUST voted in again ...

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 12:28 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Plenty of others should get a whip-lashing after him.... pubs and dems alike !
    Anonymous

• I don't think a House conviction is anything like a criminal prosecution,unfortunately. We just had a city leader convicted of fraud and grand theft and he was forced to resign immediately. Doesn't seem to be an equivalent in House rules.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:36 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Just goes to show the corruptness of the government. The really think they can run their little world however they like. They don't think the rules apply to them.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:39 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

•  don't think a House conviction is anything like a criminal prosecution,unfortunately. We just had a city leader convicted of fraud and grand theft and he was forced to resign immediately. Doesn't seem to be an equivalent in House rules.

I know it isn't. but he is considered GUILTY of ETHICS violations and should step aside...There ought to be a law!! lol...but of course THEY wouldn't approve it..

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 12:45 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Can he still be prosecuted in a court of law? I mean, this is just the house slap on the hand, right?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:55 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Can he still be prosecuted in a court of law?

I don't know.....have to look  into that

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:08 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Talk about being above the law. Ethics violations. He's what, 80? Do you think he still expects to be respected? Given he's an elder? See the humor in that?
    I swear, some think this country will fall because there is an acceptance of gays. (IDK, I heard that somewhere, like the fall of Rome?) Don't remember where I heard it. Heard all great nations that accepted homosexuality fell. Anyway, personally, I think this country will fall because of our politicians. Greedy little shits that get away with, well, everything.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 4:53 PM on Nov. 16, 2010