Should there be an age limit on public parks?

I babysit my neice and nephew (5 and 7) during the week when they get out of school. When its nice out, I like to take them to the park down the street from me. But a lot of the time, a group of probably 15 and 16 year olds come to the park and completely make it a chore for the younger kids to play. They sit on top of the monkey bars, sit or lay on the slide and text. Take up the whole row of swings, and don't even swing on them. They are loud and obnoxious and I've heard them swearing. Some neighbors of mine have had the same problem and some have even asked the teens to please move and they won't. We don't know where they live or who their parent's are but they have become a problem for the other kids that come to the park to actually PLAY. What can be done about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Well I am not sure what there is for teenagers to do at a kids park skittles? What should teenagers do to keep busy how about some the constructive rather than sitting on the kiddy slide at some park. I am just wondering where these teens parents think they are. My niece likes to take "Walks" we live in the city there is really nothing constructive a teen can do on a walk. Maybe they need to find some extracurricular activities, pick up a books, volunteer, or get a job. As for the ones who are smoking I would call the cops on them every time I seen it.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 12:35 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Its a public park. No, I don't think age limits need to be in place.
    What I do think is parents need to remain in control of their teenagers. I also believe teenagers should be taught RESPECT! And if they are respectful, I bet these issues would hardly arise.
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 12:30 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Absolutely not!! While it may be annoying to people with younger kids, what exactly are teens supposed to do to keep themselves buy??? We don't want them having sex, we don't want them home alone, we don't want them at the park?? There just isn't much for teens to do to keep themselves busy- it seems ridiculous to take away something like a public park!!

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:30 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Honestly I think so, its annoying when I go up to the park with my kdis and there is all these teenagers hanging out, blocking the slides, and smoking! I hate it. I end up having to yell at some kids every time. Stuff like, "Get out of the way", "Can you move you leg", "Hes trying to get through", it really upsets me. They think they are so "cool" smoking and getting in the way of the little ones. It irritates me A LOT!

Good quesion

kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 12:28 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Parks are for everyone,but playground equipment is for little kids. If the teens are not using the swings,etc as they were intended,they shouldn't be on it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:35 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• A park should be for everyone, not just little ones.

Answer by older at 12:29 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Not at all. Parks aren't just for little kids. But I do wish there was a way for them to be monitored so older kids/teens won't do "bad" things near any younger kids.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 2:58 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• It is a PUBLIC park so there needs to be no age limits. Parents just need to teach there children how to respect others. I know many teenagers that hang out at the park and when little kids are there they leave so the little ones can play. Teens have just as much right to be able to use the park as anyone else. As long as they are respectful while there.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:48 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Talk to your local police dept.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:25 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I don't think there should be an age limit for parks per say because most of the parks here have tennis courts, jogging trails, soccor fields, etc. in the as well as a playground but it might be a good idea at SOME of the parks (because we have playgrounds big enough for adults to run around on here) may need an age restriction on the playgrounds.

I would start by contacting Parks and Recreaction. See if they can help. If not...maybe organize a neighborhood meeting. Put flyers on all the doors in the neighborhood, make it a pot luck (ask everyone to bring a dish), and prepare some talking points to discuss the issues with the playgrounds.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 12:30 PM on Nov. 16, 2010