Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Questions about taxes....

Do you get more back as a married couple filing jointly than 2 people filing separately?

If you're a SAHM, dad should claim kids right?


Asked by jenae_gist at 12:25 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 18 (4,796 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • If you are a SAHM/with no income........ Your best bet is filing jointly because your husband can claim you as a dependent (FYI even couples that aren't married, the primary wage earner can claim the SAH parent as a dependent if they provide for 50% or more of their "upkeep") . The overall return, depending on tax bracket/other deductions/other credits..etc.. will be larger than if he filed seperately and did not claim you.

    Answer by pixie_trix at 5:12 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

  • Your best bet is to file joint. You get more tax breaks that way. If either of you owe back taxes, child support or bills that can be taken from your tax return you can always file an injured spouse form. That will make sure that the spouse who does not owe does not have to pay. Just put the kids under the person who does not owe the money and you are good to go.

    Answer by army_wife_06 at 12:41 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

  • If you're a SAHM there is no reason to not file married/joint. You both claim the kids on the joint return. The only reason you wouldn't is if YOU owe the IRS and he would be penalized from filing with you.

    Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:28 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

  • Run the numbers both ways, and see which is best.

    Answer by rkoloms at 7:33 PM on Nov. 16, 2010