So my 19months still doesnt sleep thru the night. And its so stressful! the key thing is that he is still on the bottle and he wakes up for it. I dont know what to do to get him off the bottle/or sleep thru the night. I tried once to take the bottle from him but he cried so that i just gave it back to him. Any suggestions?! Because I feel like i still have an infant!! And he only drinks it at home b/c his daycare will not give it to him.

aprilrb81

Asked by aprilrb81 at 12:46 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if he can go without a daycare then he can go with out at home, he cries because he knows you will give in! You have to deal with the crying for a day or two then he will forget, it can be hard but it is for the better........
    my son use to wake up and I would give him a bottle but then I relized he didn't need it he was doing it out of habbit and I stopped giving it to him he was ok a few night later....he only wakes up once in a blue moon now and we just let him fuss back to sleep. g/l
    Becnfamily

Answer by Becnfamily at 12:53 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• You take it away and let him cry. That's the only way. Or you can continue and he will give it up without all the screaming eventually.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:48 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Cold turkey. My brother did that for his daughter at 18 months and after maybe 3 nights his kid was fine. But as for sleeping through the night, he still might not. Not all toddlers do.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 12:48 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I went through the same thing with my oldest ds. At 18 months, he was still taking a bottle at night. I finally just threw them away, on a day when the trash would be picked up, so I could not get them back. The first night, that kid screamed for 8 solid hours. I thought I was goona pull my hair out. The next night, it was a little better, and after about 4 days, he did not even miss the bottle. Just throw them out, and be ready for the tears. He is to big to be taking a bottle and he may develop dental problems if you don't do something very soon.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 12:50 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• my question is, is he geting enough physical activity during the day so he will be tired enough to rest at night? My daughter is the same way but I caught onto the fact of when she has a more active day she sleeps all night as opposed to waking up once or twice asking for milk also. He is getting to an age where he needs more and more activity to wear him down, as he has more and more energy. On the days my daughter is more active she sleeps all night. We started doing dance and gym 2 nights a week and those nights she sleeps all night. Maybe there is something you can find for him to do in the evening to wear him down, that's my suggestion
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 12:51 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Thanks. Yes I def agree, hes like this minature man walking around the house asking for a bottle! I'm gonna just get rid of it....
    aprilrb81

Comment by aprilrb81 (original poster) at 12:52 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• MY SON IS 18 MONTHS AND GOES TO SLEEP AROUND 11-12 PM HE A NIGHT BBY HE WILL WAKE UP ONCE DURING THE NIGHT I WILL EITHER GIME HIM HIS PACIFER , HOLD HIM OR GIVE HIM A BOTTLE HE ONLY GET BOTTLES AT NIGHT AND NOT ALL THE TIME IM PUTTING HIM IN HIS CRIB AROUND 10 AND HE CRIES BUT NEVER GOES TO SLEEP SO AFTER ABOUT 15 20 MIN I GO IN AND HOLD HIM AND HE IS OUT IT TAKES TIME AND PATIENCE BUT START NOT GIVING IT TO HIM OR JUST GRADUALLY GIVE IT TO HIM LESS AND LESS AND SOON HE WONT NEED IT
    chanchan522

Answer by chanchan522 at 12:53 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Just don't give it to him. It will be hard for a few nights, but he'll eventually give up when he realizes your not giving in. It's the only way. I'm not sure about the sleeping through the night thing. Good luck!
    Stephalpha

Answer by Stephalpha at 1:00 PM on Nov. 16, 2010