How can i correct this behavior?

In the past couple months my 7 and 5 yr olds have had to start going to a sitters house 1 nite a week. Their behavior has gradually gotten worse, they have became very defiant, smart mouths, just flat out not listening to anything i say. I know that my kids r picking this behavior up from my sitters kids, but have no choice but to use this sitter for a couple more weeks. They know how they are expected to act but all has seemed to go out the window in the past few weeks. I am running out of patience and sanity quickly, and have no other ideas on what to do! We have taken things away, put them in time out, tried talking with them---absolutely nothing seems to make a difference. If any 1 has any suggestions i am to the point that i will try just about anything to get this behavior corrected before it gets any worse, and before i loss my mind!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Set a specific set of rules, go over them with your kids, tell them what the consequences will be and stick to your guns, no warnings.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 1:58 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Maybe set up a payment jar. Like everytime they have a smart mouth with you (since they know this is already unacceptable in your house) they have to put a quarter in the jar.
    kathy5980

Answer by kathy5980 at 9:56 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Sounds like the harm has already been done. I'm not sure you can effectively change this behavior as long as they're still in that environment. While you can certainly tell them that you don't appreciate these behaviors, in a way you're endorsing this by continuing to have them in that environment. You'll likely have to tolerate the situation and be thankful that this situation change soon. When it does change, you can say "we don't use that kind of language" and impose a penalty or "we don't behave that way" and impose a penalty. And at that time, you'll need to expect it to take some time - and a lot of consistency enforcing the rules - before you see the positve change!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 12:59 PM on Nov. 17, 2010