If gay marriage is made legal in all 50 states, will this open the door for other types of marriage?

If gay people are allowed to be married, then why shouldn't polygamists be allowed to have multiple spouses? Is it a case of all or nothing?

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 1:09 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Religious Debate

• As long as they are CONSENTING ADULTS, who cares? If a particular type of marriage/relationship isn't your cup of tea, then use COMMON SENSE and DON'T GET INVOLVED IN ONE!! Otherwise, stay the hell out of other people's relationships/marriages.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 1:36 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I sure hope so! I joined the cause to allow Plural Families before all this Gay Marriage stuff ever even came up... No one should have the right to tell another how or who they should marry...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:13 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I don't see why polygamists shouldn't be able to marry. I see nothing wrong with it. It's not MY marriage, and it effects my marriage in NO way. Same as gay marriage.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 1:15 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• The definition of marriage is "between two people", so no, I don't think that would open the door to polygamy. Nor would it open the door to people marrying their pets and nonsense like that. A marriage is between two consenting adults. For the record, I don't have a problem if somebody wants to live with multiple "spouses", but I think only one of those relationships should be considered a legal marriage.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:12 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Meaning pedophilia or bestiality? Of course not, those are the perverse fantasies repressed people use to argue against gay marriage, but they aren't reality. (Next time someone does, ask they why they spend SO much time thinking about people having sex with kids and animals that they need to always bring it up, I have yet to get an answer for that one, just like they never say why they can't see two gay people holding hands without instantly imagining them having sex).

In terms of polygamy - maybe, but not likely. The issues with polyamory aren't so much moral as legal - each person added to a legal marriage exponentially increases the tangle of legal property rights, child custody, and legal qualifications for tax breaks, insurance and things like that. Even if they made it legal today, people who indulged would be stuck in a legal nightmare until the laws were all changed to catch up, and that can take decades.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:10 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Like what? Polygamy? Or animals? lol! I figure, as long as it is humans only, I'm good with that. Because an animal can't choose for itself.
    Airamana

Answer by Airamana at 1:11 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I've thought of that before. Would family members then be allowed to marry, if that's what they choose? I'm not trying to compare homosexuality to incest, but only the fact that they're both illegal in most places. I'm not sure, honestly, how that would work. I also don't care who marries whom, personally.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:12 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• the only legit "other types" that it might open a door for would be polygamy...but it would take about 10-20 years to say the least and it would still have to be among consenting adults.

now animals, children, and incest, no it wouldnt...no one is going to stand by and let innocent ppl & animals get hurt, especially legally.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:41 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• No, it's 2 consenting adults not 3 or more.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 1:11 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• sure it will.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 1:15 PM on Nov. 16, 2010