Health care

Do you think it should be free or affordable?

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 1:12 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• There is nothing wrong with the cost of health care. There is an problem with the cost of health insurance. If people would just figure that out, we'd solve half the problem right there. If people quit expecting their insurance to pay for every bandaid, $5 antibiotic and visit for the sniffles, you wouldn't have to pay 1/3 or more of your paycheck just to have insurance (and when you account for your employer's contribution, that's exactly what's happening - 1/3 to 1/2 of your total employment compensation is going to insurance, but you don't see it because the part the employer pays isn't counted towards your income). Go back to pre-HMO insurance where you went to any doctor or hospital you wanted, paid for the little things yourself, and only got compensation for major medical expenses, you'll solve the problem right there.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:15 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Affordable. I don't mind paying... I just don't want to pay an arm and a leg.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 1:16 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I agree with NP.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:19 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I agree the insurance is a problem..maybe I should have worded that differently.
    ria7

Comment by ria7 (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Affordable

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:32 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Affordable. We only see a dr for well check ups and if necessary, a sick visit. We had to see a specialist this year b/c our son has to have tonsils and adenoids removed for speech. 30 co-pay there on top of 20 co-pay from his pediatrician. Our insurance will not cover a specialist unless referred by a primary dr. We owe the specialist 160 for the surgery and 800 to the hospital and anesthesia. Keep in mind our insurance is 80/20, my son will be doing this as an outpatient.  IF we do not pay all this by December 10th, he has no surgery.  But if he does not have the surgery, he can't start speech therapy and problems accumulate. 

Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:59 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I think it should be affordable. There's no need to pay someone via your insurance company $218 to say you have a pissed off back muscle and prescribe motrin and soma. That happened to me and I am fortunate to have health coverage, but $218? I cannot imagine having to pay out of pocket for healthcare. My daughter's MMR was almost $300 alone. Seriously? That much for a required vaccine?
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:38 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Free?? Nothing's free. Someone has to pay for everything.  IMO, the Obama Administration should've gone after the pillaging insurance companies instead of just adding to the chaos.  There should be regulations on the insurance co's that focus on what's best for patients/clients just as the food & drug administration regulates that corner of the market to protect consumers.

kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 3:11 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• If you only had major medical insurance, and paid for everything else, then millions of people will be able to use that major medical,because millions will need it, since they probably will never have well visits, never get colonoscopies pap smears, mammograms. Who pays for medicine this way. They can use their major medical on chemo therapy instead of a pap smear. More reform is needed for cost, yes, but that isn't the answer.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 4:14 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Free? Why should it be free? Where is personal responsibility? Why would you want to give the basic right to make the decisions about your health to the government because if they are going to pay for it they are going to control it. I will pay my own way thank you.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:28 PM on Nov. 16, 2010