How can I cook candy without a candy thermometer?

In another one of my questions a mom left a cool recipe for pumpkin seed brittle and I have everything needed except I don't have a candy thermometer. LOL! I also don't have a meat one either. Is there another way I can test it??

Thanks!!!

Momma_Forever

Asked by Momma_Forever at 5:59 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Food & Drink

• Ice water testing works as good as a thermometer. To test you use a spoon to drop a 1/4-1/2 tsp of the caramelized sugar into ice cold water. How it looks and feels after 30 seconds or so will tell you how far along it is and if it is ready. For most brittle and toffee you'll want the hard crack stage. This one is a little trickier, because a. it stays hotter longer in the water, and b. it can go from hard crack to burnt quite quickly. Remove the pan from the heat while you test, so you don't burn the sugar syrup. Drop a small amount into the ice water. It should form brittle threads that break rather than bend. What temp does it say in the recipe? Hard crack is 300*f - 310*f
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 6:34 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Wow jespeach, I'm impressed. I never knew. I would have just said to go get a candy thermometer. I have one. I've used it once.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:59 PM on Nov. 3, 2008