How can a child be tested for dsylexia and how can you help the child learn to read?

I think my daugther has dyslexia but not sure how to get her tested. Teacher basically said yeah she probably has it but not our concern. We just follow her current IEP. I want to get her tested just not sure how. I found a place that could probably help her but they want $4K with most insurances not covered (per website). Not sure what to do so she can get the help needed so she succeeds in school.

We have a few teaching universities nearby but could only find their dental clinic on their website. If I called what department would I ask for?

Need any advice I can get.
Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:34 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• How old is your child? You can get free testing through the public school district. It is a longgggggg process and you have to advocate very hard but it it possibly. I have two children with dyslexia and the one thing I have learned and this is some golden information: If you have a child with a learning disability you do not have the luxury of being an "ok" parent - you have to be a terrific parent. You have to be constantly aware of what is going on in that classroom every day. From grade school to high school. There is no excusing a weak teacher - change teachers - get your child what they need YOUNG! Learning is building and they will need all the learning stratagies possible inorder to keep up and most importantly, to protect their self esteem. It is a long journey and it is not an easy one. But when you see them succeed - there is nothing sweeter and more precious. Good luck
    ashbyee

Answer by ashbyee at 1:43 PM on Nov. 16, 2010