Do you think this is the truth?

My Grandma, who was happily married for 54 years, says that wives should spend a lot of time telling their husbands how attractive, smart, wonderful they are. She says some other woman might look good if he she shows up and starts saying these things.

Hazelnutkin

Asked by Hazelnutkin at 1:34 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Relationships

• From my personal experience. Based on all that has went right and all that has went wrong throughout my 25 year marriage..

I would have to say... Yes.

Men have the same need to be admired, appreciated, wanted, needed , desired, respected...etc.. just like women do. They just express those things differently and interpret them differently. Just like wives want/need to feel those things from their husbands. Husband's need to feel those things from their wives.
    MOst people need to feel those things. And for most, it is extremely important to feel those things from your partner in life. Whether you're a man or a woman.

I myself was once one of those wives who wanted to feel all those things from my husband, and didn't feel that he displayed them adequately. Yet at the same time, I didn't give him those things in return. So we hit a stalemate and just stopped all the way. Which caused HUGE issues in our marriage.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:40 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Are you not flattered if another man starts saying wonderful things about you. Even if you would never act on it wouldn't you think of what type of life you could have had with this other guy. Males can have the same thought or feelings even if they do not act on it. It's a thought process.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 1:56 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Agree with Grandma...my Nonna used to say that too.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 2:44 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Yes, it is the truth. But I don't think it is all about appearances, though. Men want to be appreciated and admired by a woman for all that they are and do. It keeps them happy inside and motivated to love you.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 2:51 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Yes! Men love to hear it:)
    mommyg24

Answer by mommyg24 at 3:46 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I would have to agree :D
    You have to make your man feel good.
    earthsangel2006

Answer by earthsangel2006 at 12:14 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Yeah...well, that could be true in general, however, I'm married to a guy for whom that sort of thing means absolutely nothing. Both of us are what you'd have to call "criminally unattractive", so he would think I'd gone plumb loco if I started telling him he was hot. As for telling him he's smart and wonderful, actions speak much louder than words, in my opinion.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 7:11 AM on Nov. 17, 2010