Why am I embarrassed to be a Christian?

I was raised Christian, in fact I went to church alone when my family didn't want to go. Why? Because I was so proud to be a Christian! I was so full of God's teachings I just knew that Christians were good people and I was a good person too.
Then I grew up and realized that that is not always true. I know there are good Christians, but I don't seem to run into those. I run into the "I am right and you are wrong" Christians. I run into the "You are going to hell for your sins, but don't look into my past" Christians. I run into the " If you don't believe in MY God, you are a sinner" Christians. I run into the "My God is the only God and you must follow my faiths teachings" Christians.

I don't remember any of that from the lessons in Sunday school. I remember, "You might be a sinner, but I love you anyway". I remember, "We are all sinners, and all sins are equal".

When did Christians become so self righteous?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• My personal thoughts on what you have shared.

First and foremost. Never be ashamed of your faith. Ever. Your faith is yours. Your relationship with God is your own personal individual and special relationship. That's not anything to be ashamed of.

With that said. What you describe is something that I, being a non Christian, have experienced my entire life. I have had Christians tell me those types of things my entire life. However. I do not hold Christianity responsible for those people's actions. Just those people. Christianity, like all other religions, is a beautiful religion full of good teachings, wisdom and positive influence. Some people choose to bastardize the religion, however there are people in this world who choose to bastardize just about every single religion there is. Hold those people responsible for their actions/behaviours, not the religion itself.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:54 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• There is a difference from selfrightous and believeing that Jesus was God's son.I am a christian and not embarrassed.I don't believe that I am any better than anyone else.Others have to live with their decisions as I have to live with my own.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 1:41 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Don't be embarassed by your faith- instead seek to be the kind of Christian you would like to see more of! You can set an example without ever using words at all.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 1:42 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• i totally understand!! its hard to be proud of being a Christian when everywhere you turn a Christian is doing or saying something un-Christlike. the best thing ive found to do is to keep being a good Christian and try your hardest to nicely speak against the actions of the Christians who give us a bad name. at first you will get wrapped up as one of THOSE kinda Christians, but over time you will start to stand out and people will start to see the light of Christ in you.

if you look back into the history of Christianity, the self-righteous attitude is nothing new, its just less violent now.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:21 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Many have been self righteous (since Jesus days) yet that does not mean they are right. Jesus does not teach us to be that way. Quite honestly it is a lack of wisdom and spiritual growth on their parts. To say that you have arrived and know it all is completely foolish. To say that your church is all right is foolish. I would advise you my sister to get into the word of God for yourself and build that relationship with him. Christians will let you down just as anybody else will. We are not to look to other Christians for how to live but to Jesus and the Word of God. I am a Christian and very proud of it. Not because of my "fellow christian brothers or sisters" but because I am confident in what I believe and confident in all that Jesus has done for me. God Bless.
    sondaughter312

Answer by sondaughter312 at 3:05 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• quoting brandyj- Like it or not, Jesus did say He is the only way to Heaven. As a follower of Jesus, I must proclaim that. Anyone who says they are a Christian, but doesn't declare what Jesus Himself said, is not a disciple of Christ. I'm sorry, OP, but we can't sugar coat everything. We get ridiculed these days for saying Jesus is the way, the truth and the life... so what? Jesus was KILLED for saying it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will probably get voted down and criticized for it, but I completely agree with brandyj. Not everything, every church does or every preacher teaches is right, but if you are really a Christian you can't deny what Jesus said himself.

asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 6:55 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• "If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his Father's glory with the holy angels." - Jesus
    Mark 8: 38

Like it or not, Jesus did say He is the only way to Heaven. As a follower of Jesus, I must proclaim that. Anyone who says they are a Christian, but doesn't declare what Jesus Himself said, is not a disciple of Christ. I'm sorry, OP, but we can't sugar coat everything. We get ridiculed these days for saying Jesus is the way, the truth and the life... so what? Jesus was KILLED for saying it.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 2:19 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• maybe you're just hanging out with the wrong people, period.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:39 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I'm not embarrassed. I am a Christian what that mean I am imperfect just redeemed.
    RidingPink

Answer by RidingPink at 5:50 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Wow how do I explain this ....
    When we become ashamed of being a Christian... it means we are forgetting who we are in Christ Jesus. This does not mean we listen to who others think we are ... the negative things. We need to remind ourselves who we are and let that sink in.
    Let me ask you a question... why do you think you are still a sinner?
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:44 PM on Nov. 16, 2010